Boats & Blinds Forum Sponsors

Help picking a boat and options

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by darkvibe, Jan 3, 2019.

1. darkvibe

darkvibe Senior Refuge Member

I appreciate the input but I'm not really interested in investing a bunch of time into building/repairing anything, even with a significant cost savings. I'd rather have a warranty, be ready to use without a bunch of work and order exactly what I want from the factory. I'm not settling by doing that and my budget isn't holding me back. I set a budget to keep people from recommending something that is way more boat than I need, which is happening anyway. I honestly feel like a 16ft boat would be fine 90% of the time. I upped it to 18ft so I had a little extra room. I definitely don't need or want 20ft+ of hull to hide or store.

Plus, I have a project boat (not a hunting boat) already and am not looking for a second one.

2. JEREMY R

JEREMY R Refuge Member

Nice to do that. But nothing wrong with new if you can afford it

3. techfowl

techfowl Elite Refuge Member

I think for your application I would lean towards an 18' Lund or similar V-hull. I had a 16' Lund/60HP for many years and while it was great for rough water it was too small for 3 guys and gear. I now have an 1860 Roughneck/90HP and I really like it, open floor plan, unlike so many other jon-style boats where they are all deck. However if you're hunting big water I think the Lund is going to ride a whole lot better, and it will float in skinny water.

JP and darkvibe like this.
  4. calling4life

calling4life Elite Refuge Member

Well, I guess it would help to list out further your needs.

So, running across open water, what does this mean, is it 30 minutes of a 35 minute drive across 3' seas, or, I don't go out in big seas, so it's essentially just running across glass or some minor chop. But again, is this 90% of the boats use or 10%.
    You don't run mud flats, rivers, so on, but you seem to have some concern with shallows. How much shallow running and what do you consider shallow, shallow to me is under 6" of water, it may be sub 2' to you. Very different. Also, how important is this shallow part, so you may run 90% on open seas where depth doesn't matter, but being able to get back into these shallow areas may really make your hunt or get you away from the crowd, so you may assess this to be the number one priority.

So if big water with waves is the main chunk, and you don't mind trimming way up and slowly driving into the shallows, or maybe your shallows are still 2' deep, a V hull may really be best.
    If the big water running is still in wave-less or similar conditions and you need to be able to cross areas where the bottom is sand and 6" deep, and this last part is most important to you. Something like the Seeark 1872 MVT tunnel hull may be a great choice.

Then there's everything in between. Jackplates are generally a help. Maybe flesh this out a bit more.

5. freefall

freefall Elite Refuge Member

What kind of top speed are you getting?

Is yours a tiller or console?

6. darkvibe

darkvibe Senior Refuge Member

Some of this is hard to answer because I've never been on some of the water I hope to hunt. I can at least add some info based on the places I have been.

Crossing open water to get to a spot... Say under 5 miles to a hunting spot. Most often 1 mile or so. Open/deep water to get there, unlikely to be glass smooth, most often a little chop but no big waves. Last weekend I was out with 20 mph winds in our face and it was as rough as I have seen while hunting with white caps all over. I think the waves might have been 1.5 feet at the most windy part of the day.

When I say shallow water, I mean I want to get into sheltered coves to hunt. Maybe 6" of water. Some places have a firm sand bottom that gradually slopes to shore like a beach. I would want to get the boat as close to the shore as possible to hide it. Other places have a soft mud bottom. When I say soft mud, it looks 6" deep but if you were to step in it, you're up to your armpits and stuck. I would not be traveling far in these conditions. I would probably push pole into most of them. Would like to idle in to the back of bigger coves. Would never run the motor over that soft mud and suck it into the intake.

I think getting into those coves and shallows can make or break hunting. If I had to stay home a couple times because it was windy/rough in order to have a boat that hunts those coves and shallow banks, I would be totally happy.

7. Lastflight

Lastflight Senior Refuge Member

An 18' Alaskan/Outlander/Freedom isn't going to draft much more water than a comparable 18' mod vee. However, you will feel much more comfortable in the open water with the deeper hulled boat.
    My hunting situation sounds very similar to yours. I hunt Lake Erie, St Clair, Lake Huron, etc. where I have to run miles of open water but set up in shallow water. I run a 20' Polar Kraft Outlander tiller and it works great for my needs. If needed, the boat can be waded (if the bottom is firm) into less than a foot of water with the motor trimmed up.

darkvibe likes this.
  8. grousefeathers

grousefeathers Senior Refuge Member

Look at Stanley boats. I have a 17 tiller and a 20 ft predator. Made in Canada and easy to bring across boarder. Plus if you watch the cad vs usd can be a great bargain. I got mine at .68 cents on the dollar. The 18 ft predator would be all the boat you would ever need

9. grousefeathers

grousefeathers Senior Refuge Member

My 20 ft predator while figuring out blind

Attached Files:

10. techfowl

techfowl Elite Refuge Member

I have the VPT with console and an Etec, GPS said ~40 mph with 4 adults.