Decoy Forum Sponsors

Help Wanted- Carry-Lite Decoy Value

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by Vandy Grift, Sep 7, 2018.

1. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

I have some GHG lifesize pintails that are every bit as bad as any carrylite I ever owned.

I do have 2 dozen carrylite mallards from the early 80's that still have all of the original paint other than minimal wear on the bills....yes, I said all. :l On the other hand I have bald pintails, mallards, wigeon, canvasbacks, redheads, goldeneyes, teal, you get the idea. :z

WHUP ! Hen and Fowler267 like this.
  2. Rubberhead

Rubberhead Elite Refuge Member

The novelty factor is worth more than the decoys.

WHUP ! Hen, freefall and Fowler267 like this.
  3. wtrfwlr43

wtrfwlr43 Elite Refuge Member

I must be lucky, I still use some Magnum Carry Lites weighted keel mallards I bought back in 1991. They are BIG. The bodies have the Original paint for the most part. Have had to touch up heads and bills. Also touched up the white to brighten them up. Never had a problem with paint peeling. Beat the heck of them hunting out of a boat.
    As far as price, google aqua keel decoys. They are priced high as they are no longer made....$50 for 12 is cheap especially for new ones. Are the mallards hard or soft plastic?

4. Vandy Grift

Vandy Grift Refuge Member

Hi wtrfwlr43, they are all the hard body type. I actually think $50.00 is a good deal for a dozen, like I said the no namers you get in bins at Fleet Farm or places like that go for $5-6 bucks apiece.

Anyway, the guy passed on them. He only wanted the Mallards but I want to sell both boxes because I figure it would be harder to get rid of the GWT on their own. I wouldn't be surprised if he comes back, but if not I don't mind. Like Rubberhead says, the novelty of them being brand new in the original box is worth something in itself. I'll just keep them for now.

5. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

You got extremely lucky.

$50 may be cheap to some but those of us that have experienced those decoys wouldn't take them if they were free. The only reason people will even pay for them is because they aren't made anymore and they think they will be worth something someday. Out of 11 dozen I have 2 dozen didn't have paint issues the rest required repainting every year or 2 and some wouldn't even hold paint for 1 season no matter what I tried. I bought mine in the 80's when I couldn't afford better and many species weren't available and have been given a bunch since then. I refuse to take them now even free.

I guess there is a sucker born every minute, if you found someone that will actually give money for them, JUMP on it.

WHUP ! Hen likes this.
  6. Vandy Grift

Vandy Grift Refuge Member

Billy Bob, I was surprised that the guy was so specific about what he wanted, they obviously aren't collectible. He wasn't a young man, and claims to be a charter boat captain and a duck call maker. Apparently, he has a thing for Carrylites. But not at $50 a dozen lol.

7. Il. MudDuk

Il. MudDuk Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

It's petty and insignificant, but the photo on their flyer they put in their shrink wrap was always "neat" to me when growing up buying those decoys....I guess now it just "takes me back...".
    Kind of the same with those old Flambeau camo cardboard box's their decoys came in, way back when.

I wish I had paid more attention to him, but an older fella I hunted with a couple times worked with a few decoy manufacturers in some way, selling the plastic or some such thing.
    Anyhow, as I recall, he told me that CarryLite didnt "prime" their plastic good enough for paint adhesion. I think that the decoys being somewhat "soft", or almost "squishy" didnt help and didnt give the hard drying paint a chance i.e. flaked/ broke when the decoy body was handled. Harder plastic decoys like the old Flam's and G&H didnt have those issues.

I remember when the "Target" stores sold guns, ammo and decoys (circa 1985). Dad bought me a couple 4 packs of mallards while the family was out shopping one hot summer day. Mom had a Toyota Corolla I think at the time and we put the decoys in the trunk....by the time we got home, they had warped & half melted. :l