Virginia Flyway Forum Sponsors

Help with riparian ghost blind relief?

Discussion in 'Virginia Flyway Forum' started by Dicky Mo, Nov 1, 2018.

1. Dicky Mo

Dicky Mo New Member

There's a fairly easy and simple solution to cutting down on riparian ghost blinds, maybe considerably, and it wouldn't be hard at all to have it gain legislative momentum. It also wouldn't cost legit waterfowl hunters an extra penny. But it does need people to give it an initial push.

Why not me and mine? Because I live way out west, don't care enough, and "we" (my friends, really) already did Sunday hunting. This would be WAAAYYY easier than Sunday hunting. I had this idea probably a decade ago, but it's still hanging out there like bad fruit, so someone who gives a damn needs to run with this.

The suggestion is that **every person who buys a riparian blind license should have a valid and current hunting license and duck stamps.** As it is now, they just need to buy a blind license and a few pieces of plywood. This is an extra, albeit minor, annual economic hurdle to those who want to put up ghost blinds, but the key to making it work is that it's a pretty big pain in the *** if they don't already have a hunting license because the chances of them then having a hunter's safety course validation are super slim. Meaning they'd have to get one to set up a valid ghost blind. That's a legit hurdle, especially for people who don't want to spend multiple evenings in a room full of rednecks learning about firearm safety and such. You can do versions of that online now, but the in-person version (or a previous license purchase or HS course validation number) would be the only way to get a blind stake. That would stop more than a few people, and maybe more than temporarily.

I'll cross-post this across several platforms and be done with it. A group who's impacted should pick it up and run with it. In context, it could be a fairly easy legislative win.

The Other David likes this.
  2. The Hilljack

The Hilljack Elite Refuge Member

My .02 is that the blind laws create situations where people hunt in areas they wouldn't normally just so they have somewhere to go. I won't creek name, but I once looked a creek that had a lot of good spots that were already tagged. So I took a mud boat to the end of every little gut and pocket to see if I could find a spot. Went under a bridge that I had to lie down in the boat to get under. Spent a whole day with a GPS and range finder. The only spots that were legal were really close to houses. I could've tagged that for 1 year and maybe kill a few swing birds. The issue there was ghost blinds that were constructed to keep people away from real blinds. Create a big reserve in the back of the creek and then hunt a few choice areas.
    They had left the landowners alone which was smart, but that only left the landowner shoreline for tagging which a short-term deal and causes friction with non-hunters needlessly.

3. Montauker

Montauker Elite Refuge Member

As much as they complain about it, MD in my opinion has a better system. It facilitates access, while also giving landowners ample opportunity to license their shoreline, and just their shoreline. Certain areas of the state, such as BB, may require a special carve out. The way the system is now, way too much shoreline is reserved by people who don't own it. Which in my opinion is ridiculous and an overall detriment to the future of hunting as access is the number one issue keeping people away.

4. Tiderunner

Tiderunner Senior Refuge Member

The suggestion is that **every person who buys a riparian blind license should have a valid and current hunting license and duck stamps.**

I see where you're going with this but I don't think it will pass the smell test because nothing is stopping a person who doesn't hunt from buying land and letting someone else hunt it. That's the argument I see them making.
    I think it would be very easy to prove in court that most ghost blinds are not enough to conceal a hunter. Compare a legit hunting blind that's well constructed and bushed out to some of the rag tag **** that is out there. If people started pushing the issue, hunting next to these ghost blinds and making the owners take you to court, then maybe the owners will have to start putting some real effort into them.

5. LEWDOG

LEWDOG Elite Refuge Member

If I came across a ghost blind and wanted to hunt the area I would remove the license on it and hunt .

:yes LD :dv

6. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

I would just cover the license up with spray painted burlap, because I'm so ethical. :joker

7. Little Ruddy

Little Ruddy Elite Refuge Member

Easiest thing is to reduce the yardage requirement for an unoccupied blind. That way you could float hunt the better spots when the blind owners aren't using the blind. As far as the ghost blind thing,hunt right beside it and keep on hunting. The code defines a stationary blind,use it to your advantage. Ghost blinds that don't meet the code,therefore are not a blind after Nov. 1
    As far as going to court over a duck blind..That depends on a Lot of things. I could of gone to court and won,but it would of been a Lot of money,time and then the blind would most likely gotten burned and I just didn't want the hassle of it...but They were definitely in the wrong in my case. Politics and big $$$ prevailed in this situation.

8. The Hilljack

The Hilljack Elite Refuge Member

If someone is hunting it, it's not a ghost blind.

9. buckmaster1

buckmaster1 Elite Refuge Member

Apollo Beach, Fl, Formerly from Gloucester, VA
    You really have to love the blinds up on the Chick near a certain hunt club. To hunt some of them, you have to on chest waders and be standing in chest deep water and could only shoot straight up. Three sticks stuck in the mud with a piece of burlap hung on them.

10. Tiderunner

Tiderunner Senior Refuge Member

Hilljack, you and I and everyone here knows what a ghost blind is, what they're for and people don't hunt ghost blinds.