Help with wheel offset

Discussion in '4x4 / Truck Forum' started by Ryan Hill, Oct 18, 2013.

1. Ryan Hill

Ryan Hill Refuge Member

I'm trying to pick out new rims for my '09 Duramax and can't for the life of me come to a conclusion as far as rim offset. Does anyone have a great knowledge of what offset does in terms of tire rub? Right now I have 275/65/18 Toyo A/Ts on 18x9 rims, not sure of the offset of them although I believe it's 0mm. On the new rims I'm wanting to get 275/70/18 Nitto Trail Grapplers and am wondering what offset on a rim would help out with the tires potentially rubbing, which I think they will rub a little on a 0mm offset rim. Does a negative or positive offset give the tire a little more clearance from the fender well? And also would said offset make the whole wheel and tire stick out pretty far? I'd like to get it as close to flush with the outside of the fender as possible. Wondering if I'm trying to have my cake and eat it too... Any help would be much appreciated.

2. BUCKSHOT#4

BUCKSHOT#4 Elite Refuge Member

I was in the same boat as yourself. I went to someone that knew all about that stuff, picked out my rims and let them deal with the offset numbers when they ordered the Rims. Quite a few of the aftermarket parts companies are knowledgeable about offset that I have run into. They ask quite a few questions about your truck, lift, size tires and etc etc. before they figure it out. I know just enough about it to really screw things up......:D

3. Ryan Hill

Ryan Hill Refuge Member

Haha thanks, yeah i'd like some kind of happy median between tires rubbing and having to trim a lot of the fender liner, and the wheel and tire sticking out from the body, which I LOATHE.

4. BUCKSHOT#4

Fender flares? (At least that is what I call'em) lol

5. Ryan Hill

Ryan Hill Refuge Member

Eventually I might, but I think that $600 would be better spent on goose decoys right now haha.

6. BUCKSHOT#4

Priorities, man, priorities.......:l