Hen Houses

Discussion in 'Florida Flyway Forum' started by Fyrestorm, Jun 9, 2002.

1. Fyrestorm

Fyrestorm Guest

Saw some discussion about hen houses. Looks like we can do the same for the mottle duck. Anyone have any ideas or made one before???

2. Floridaboy

Floridaboy Moderator Moderator

I have not made one yet, but Sean may have.

I will be checking with the Guana biologist this year about it.

3. wildcat

wildcat Senior Refuge Member

I havent made one yet, but I have the plans for them.....

This is a project we will be working on for after next season.

the first thing we need to do is identify places tp put them up where they will get maxium use.

currently Delta gets around 70% occupancy rates for their hen houses and the nest success in them is over 85%....

we need to focus on areas that hopefully pure blood mottleds are using... Merrit island, T.M Goodwin, Guana, St. Johns are all places for pontential hen houses...

To cut costs we need to try and get local lumber yards to donate some of the wood, plus get them to save their scraps for us...

chicken wire or stucco wire is what the tube is made out of.. a half inch piece of board for the floor and then either conduit or steel pipe to stick in the ground

Still working on what to use as a protective covering. hay it what is usually used but I have doubts if it will hold up in florida.

4. Floridaboy

Floridaboy Moderator Moderator

This may sound hokie but I wonder if Home Depot would donate some stuff. They always have those kid days on Saturdays, where they make tool boxes, bird houses and little stools.

Guess it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Can you email me the plans? I will ask up here and see if they would want to do it.

5. wildcat

wildcat Senior Refuge Member

The directions are PDF. format so you have to print them out.

go here:

Hen Houses

I think going to home depot or lowes is a good idea. in fact I planned on doing that myself. even if they wont donate you can always get scraps.

Either way, some of the money we made from the shoot will go to build hen houses next spring... :)

thanks...