Taxidermy Forum Sponsors

Hen Mallard....kinda

Discussion in 'Taxidermy Forum' started by GCBLKLAB, Mar 30, 2010.

1. Rick Acker

Rick Acker Senior Refuge Member

Here's a pic of a typical drake coming out(or going into...either way the look is going to be the same) of his eclipse plummage. Notice the difference? One thing that is a dead giveaway. Besides not having ratty pin feathers all over the place. :scratch Notice the solid green on the head in GC's bird. (not this one) I've shot hundreds of eclipsed Mallards living in North Dakota and the green feathers do not go in like that.
    [​IMG] Who knows what we got going on here...Maybe a hen coming out into her Ricky Martin plummage???

2. deadgrassdog

deadgrassdog Elite Refuge Member

Kudo's on that mount... very nice!:tu

3. stackin_smilers

stackin_smilers Elite Refuge Member

Well here's a gestion for GC, was the bird full of pin feathers? I'm sure he would be the one who knows for certain if it were coming out of eclipse because that bird would have been loaded with pin feathers.

I'm not a professional taxi but I highly doubt that bird would have been that clean if he was molting.

Anyone who's mounted a bird with pin feathers knows it once the bird get fleshed, especially after it gets washed, which I'm sure GC and Rick know first hand.

4. GCBLKLAB

GCBLKLAB Senior Refuge Member

I can only assume you are having some fun and stirring the pot just to do it :reader. A DRAKE can't come out of eclipse plumage if he doesn't have any male sex organs to begin with!!!! :doh Unless after all these years and hundreds of birds I have skinned I just don't know what I am looking for. I am tellin ya dude it was a GIRL, SUSIE, MAMA, CHICK.....:l I give up :no

P.S. not a single pinfeather on the bird

5. Band Fanatic

Band Fanatic Elite Refuge Member

Well, in my experience, we've killed 4 or 5 drakes over the yrs that looked just like that in DECEMBER here in IL! Coincidence?...... I don't think so! We chalked them up as eclipse drakes cuz that's all they are!:rolleyes:

6. GCBLKLAB

GCBLKLAB Senior Refuge Member

Not saying at all that it is not possible, you may have, but I do know that this one had no male parts....I don't know your level of avian anatomy and it may very well be better than mine but this lil lady was not a boy. :no

7. Meats

Meats Elite Refuge Member

For christ sakes are you stupid ar what.
    The guy said he took his fingers,spread the birds azzhole open and it had no pecker.IT IS A HEN:tu
    If you are just stirring the pot you got me hook,line and sinker but if you truly believe its a drake you my friend are dumber than CH!T.

8. JD1983

JD1983 Elite Refuge Member

I shot a young drake in December that was also coming out of eclipse plummage here this season too but, obviously, he was full of pin feathers. Given that the guy who skinned and mounted the bird says it had no pin feathers or penis, I'd guess you are wrong on this one.

And what the heck is an environmental water biologist anyway? It sounds like something someone made up.

9. slucrew1

slucrew1 Senior Refuge Member

What ever. The mount looks awesome. You did a great job.:tu

10. Joey P

Joey P Elite Refuge Member

The mount is amazing.:bow

That being said, to the IL moderator:

THIS DUCK DID NOT HAVE A PEE-PEE, TALLYWHACKER, JOHNSON, PUD, WEINER, SCHLONG, JOINT, HANG-DOWN, ROOT, PECKER, DONG, UNIT, SAUSAGE, OR ROD. PER THE MAN THAT ACTUALLY LAID HIS HANDS ON THE BIRD.

Of course, your judgement is obviously way better, being that you have actually viewed a photo online. What an FE. You make me proud I do not live in IL anymore.