Henry's Fork?

Discussion in 'Fishing Forum' started by denduke, Apr 30, 2017.

1. denduke

denduke Senior Refuge Member

Got cabin between Chester and Ashton Idaho June2-9 need some input on flies/techniques....Thanks
    Got some nymphs, scuds, streamers working on stone flies....
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. bruce

bruce Elite Refuge Member

Try contacting Henry's fork Anglers or House Of Harrop. I envy you the opportunity to fish there in June. I made annual trips to Henry's Fork for many years but could only go in April or September due to work conflicts. You might catch the Salmonfly hatch. I always fished the Harriman Ranch and Box Canyon. I don't know much about downstream. There are sure to be lots of little to teeny bugs hatching. Midges, Pseudocloen, etc.

3. denduke

Thanks the big stones would also pass for salmon flies, correct? Talked to da cabin guy said they were catching now on black rubber legs. So I inserted some into some big black nymphs I already had....Thanks for info.
    [​IMG]

Buttesmacker likes this.
  4. bruce

I have never been lucky enough to fish the Salmon fly hatch but your dry Stone looks good to me. I think the surface activity for the Pteronarcys Stones usually happens later in June. I'm sure you got good advice on the black rubberlegs. Big nymphs with wiggly legs should be good.There will likely be Caddis hatches also. I think the character of the river is different where you will be fishing from the Railroad Ranch. The Ranch/Island Park section is a lot like a huge spring creek. Tactics would be different where you are but probably not much different from many other places you have fished.

5. denduke

Gotta get some white rabbit strips for some accurate double bunnies.
    [​IMG]
    Gonna modify some Matuka to match the red sided shiners
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: May 3, 2017
    Buttesmacker likes this.
  6. bruce

Nice streamers! Where did you get the Badger feathers? I use them for certain Tarpon flies and they have been hard to come by.

7. denduke

Actually lucked up on it. Son in law had critter kill one of his Americana roosters....
    [​IMG]

8. Fsbirdhouse

Fsbirdhouse Senior Refuge Member

Well,
    If you're going to fish the Henry's fork, you might also consider the South Fork. Big Stone fly hatch there as well.
    I think you can count on crowds either place during 'The Hatch', but the fishing can be pretty fast I'm told.
    I Live just South of Idaho Falls in Blackfoot, and the Snake there has some monster big Rainbows and Browns, as well as Hybred Cutbows. I smoke and occasionally broil some of those. But if it's Cutthroats you're after, the Henry's and South forks are your targets.
    Still, if you're into plugs or bait instead of strictly flies, the river just across the street, right in downtown can, and often does turn out fish like these Browns, as well as Rainbows and Cutbows!
    Funny thing!
    Thousands of tourists drive right on by each Summer...never knowing!
    [​IMG]

Buttesmacker likes this.
  9. California Flyway

California Flyway Elite Refuge Member

If you are fishing the Henry's Fork, check out the Henry's Fork Foundation. An old buddy of mine from Trout Unlimited, Steve Trafton was their Executive Director. Not sure if he still is. If you meet him say Hello from me. Have him tell you the story about the 13 pound Steelhead he caught on a fly on the Gualala River in California.

10. mister gadwall

mister gadwall Senior Refuge Member

fished the area for fifty years....if you have a boat you will do well on big stuff. if not take a life jacket if wading.