Here is what I am voting against in California...

Discussion in 'Political Action Forum' started by Squaller, Nov 12, 2018.

1. TheDuckSlayer

TheDuckSlayer Elite Refuge Member

If I was old enough to vote in ‘92, I probably would have voted for Clinton.

2. newduk

newduk Elite Refuge Member

Regardless of the size of the sample of the people interviewed, or whether in a liberal or conservative location, the fact that there are people who know nothing of how this country began, is sad. Just sad.

rhpierce, lugnut, widgeon and 2 others like this.
  3. Bear

Bear Elite Refuge Member

There are a couple of videos where some man on the street type reporter went to prestigious but albeit Liberal universities and asked essentially the same questions and got the same essential responses. A newer university but an example.

Some "conservative" universities had about the same results.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
    widgeon likes this.
  4. hobbydog

hobbydog Elite Refuge Member

How do you think Trump would do on a civics test?

The_Duck_Master likes this.
  5. Bear

Bear Elite Refuge Member

Is this thread about Trump?

OneShotBandit likes this.
  6. KENNEDY63

KENNEDY63 Elite Refuge Member

Done.

America's Most Partisan Industry
    New data on political donations tell the story.

By James Freeman
    Nov. 6, 2018 5:07 p.m. ET

No, this isn’t a story about Silicon Valley, but an industry that may exercise even more cultural influence. This column recently noted polling data showing that college professors often spend class time expressing their social and political beliefs even when they are completely unrelated to the subjects of their courses. A series of recent reports on political donations suggest that among the faculty, such beliefs are remarkably similar.

A conservative website called Campus Reform focuses this week on public academic institutions in Florida. Politically, it’s a large swing state but on Sunshine State campuses many of the professionals have largely made up their minds:

In total, Florida public college employees donated $587,454.47 from 2017-2018. Of that amount, 94.8 percent were made to Democrat politicians or Democrat organizations, while just 5.2 percent of the donations were made to Republican politicians or Republican organizations.Six-hundred ninety-three faculty members, specifically, donated a total of $286.572.34 to politicians or political organizations. They contributed 93.55 percent of the money to Democrat politicians or organizations. Just 6.45 percent of donations went to Republican causes or politicians, like Florida Gov. Rick Scott.

A separate report from the same website recently noted the philosophical monoculture that is the University of Oregon:

According to a Campus Reform analysis, 100 percent of all UO administrators who donated to political candidates or causes gave a total of $10,014.60 to Democrat politicians or Democrat organizations, such as Chelsea Manning for Congress and the Democratic Party of Oregon. In total, UO employees donated $98,081.88 from 2017-2018. Of that amount, 99.6 percent of donations were to Democrat politicians or Democrat organizations, while .4 percent of the donations, a combined $363.28 from three UO employees, were to Republican politicians or Republican organizations.

The OpenSecrets website maintained by the Center for Responsive Politics tells a similar story with its list of educational outfits where employees in aggregate generate the largest political donations. When it comes to contributions to candidates and party committees, employees of the University of California gave more than 97% of their money to Democrats. The same was true at Stanford.

And the pattern largely holds even in more conservative states. Employees of the University of Texas have given $1.1 million during this election cycle, more than 92% of it to Democrats.

In the liberal northeast, the student-run Yale Daily News reports:

Since Jan. 1, Yale professors, lecturers and instructors have donated $302,943 to political candidates, political action committees, super PACs and nonprofit organizations. 96 percent of these donations went to Democratic political campaigns and committees.

The newspaper consulted Yale political science professor Steven Smith and according to the News:

Smith said that many universities, including Yale, skew liberal because they have become deeply politicized due to “too much focus on various forms of protest studies.”“There is an overcompensation, especially at places like Yale, at being in an elite university in a democratic society,” Smith said. “There develops in some people a kind of guilt complex about this, and the result is the belief that they have to atone for their privileges … Rather than trying to turn education into an engine for social progress, we should spend more time thinking about what I would call the elementary conditions of a society of free and responsible individuals.”

Sounds like a plan, and perhaps universities nationwide will consider hiring a few more people interested in thinking about such things. For now, it seems the partisan faculty are so overbearing that many students fear discussing anything not aligned with the views of the professoriate.

University faculty may be thinking that they have enjoyed great success lately at persuading students to adopt their point of view, given the recent divergence in voting preferences between college-educated and non-college-educated Americans. Two years ago the Pew Research Center noted:

In the 2016 election, a wide gap in presidential preferences emerged between those with and without a college degree. College graduates backed Clinton by a 9-point margin (52%-43%), while those without a college degree backed Trump 52%-44%. This is by far the widest gap in support among college graduates and non-college graduates in exit polls dating back to 1980. For example, in 2012, there was hardly any difference between the two groups: College graduates backed Obama over Romney by 50%-48%, and those without a college degree also supported Obama 51%-47%.

widgeon likes this.
  7. The_Duck_Master

The_Duck_Master Elite Refuge Member

Actually, I think it's mostly due to parental focus on education. Those with lousy parents require a high degree of personal motivation.

8. hobbydog

hobbydog Elite Refuge Member

It is about informed voters, assuming the actors in the staged interviews even voted. Some have suggested a civics test to vote. If the voters have to pass one, shouldn’t the people we are voting for also have to pass one. So do you think Trump could pass one?

9. TheDuckSlayer

TheDuckSlayer Elite Refuge Member

My peanut brain is having trouble bridging the disconnect between “making political donations” and “indoctrinating our youth.”

I donate to a political party (true).
    I work at a high- profile private school (true). Not once that I can recall that I have discussed politics with another employee, much less a student. In fact, politics is unofficially considered a taboo subject and we are unofficially discouraged from talking about it.

Here is another fact: I have over 200 hours of college course work under my belt and I can not recall a single time when politics were discussed in the classroom.

Here’s another fact: teachers’ unions have long been a bastion of liberal support since their inception. Your article, which can be summed up in the few words: “teachers donate a lot of money to Deomocratic organizations,” is not anything new.

Show me something that proves teachers are indoctrinating our youth; don’t show me some article about political donations and expect me to make the conspiratorial leap.

10. API

API PAF-CA Flyway Moderator Flyway Manager

Would be interesting to see unbiased data about the outcomes of unfocused parenting. I’d expect that such an un-PC data set would take some courage to collect and report. For sure though, parenting has a giant impact upon how society becomes stratified. Some unfortunate offspring have little basis for rising above the dirtbag level. That creates a burden for the rest which we too easily tolerate. Sorta like compassionately shooting ourselves in the azz.