Here they come boys,

Discussion in 'Louisiana Flyway Forum' started by drakenuts, Dec 26, 2017.

1. drakenuts

drakenuts Refuge Member

we are going into the deep freeze in Missouri boys, only water that will be open by New Year’s Day will be the very center of the most major rivers...maybe, and it will be polluted with icebergs. You boys better be getting ready down there, you should see the arrival of some very tired ducks the next few days. Northern Missouri that’s housed nearly a million mallards since about Nov. 4th should be pretty void very soon of anything other then isolated pocket Canada goose holes kept open.

2. ericDC

ericDC Elite Refuge Member

I’ll be hunting tomorrow through Monday near the Arkansas line, if forecast holds we’ll lock up Sunday or Monday night.

3. Timberrunner205

Timberrunner205 New Member

if they aint come yet they probably aint coming. ill believe it when i see it. Lack of water around north la makes it hard to believe many will even stop here.

4. jrchip1

jrchip1 Elite Refuge Member

Saw some high fliers today

5. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

Today was largely what we've come to expect after an all day rain, but we enjoyed our best-of-season-to-date show of mallards yesterday and Christmas morning.

6. jrchip1

Help me out Rick, what can you expect on a windy/rainy day? Any patterns, lack of flying.....

7. Rick Hall

One can always expect ducks to do as they damn well please with no regard whatsoever for my best guesses.

Rain, however, seems the most dependable motivator in our area and generally spurs a duck flight from the marsh to the rice, regardless of time of day, and they seem to remain restless and moving as long as it rains. When the rain's over, so is duck flight, and there's often little moving in the morning after long periods of rain. Don't know if they're flat worn out or busy chowing down on newly available grub or perhaps both. Just know it's often the case and particularly so on weekdays, when there aren't a great many hunters pushing them around.

So I'd guess a lot of your birds are frequently up here when it rains.

Sunklands likes this.
  8. La. Legend

La. Legend Elite Refuge Member

Rick I've had good hunts in the rain, usually in the timber, but it's been my experience that the birds like to hunker down out of the wind somewhere and not move around much. I'm getting old so I usually just go back to bed if the rain is socked in.

9. Rick Hall

You are plainly hunting a very different area than jrchip1 and I are talking about. But then, too, my timber experience has also generally differed from yours. If I were ever going to sleep in on an open season duck day, it would be if I only had green timber to hunt and was raining. 'Course, I'm still a young, punk 67yr-old. Maybe 10 years from now...

10. jrchip1

Damn Rick I thought you were older than me !!!!! :grvn:grvn