Here we go again...

Discussion in 'Wisconsin Flyway Forum' started by Dog guy, Dec 10, 2017.

1. Dog guy

Dog guy Senior Refuge Member

Season dates. Were they good or should they be structured differently? Once again, I was covered up in ducks this weekend.
    After doing this for 20+ years I would love to have two more weeks to hunt the ducks. Not complaining at all. Just stating what I'm seeing again.
    Pretty sure in those 20+ years there have been less than a handful where the birds are gone by the closing date. Location is near Madison.

2. woodiefanatic

woodiefanatic Senior Refuge Member

Waterfowl survey I got had alot of questions about a statewide opener nearest October 1st. Then it had questions about having more than 60 days of duck hunting extending the season into December. I was curious on that question as I thought the feds limited us to 60 days. Put a lot of miles on this weekend and saw a lot of duck and goose feeds. Drove by an interesting little spring pond, maybe 30 yards in diameter, and it was full of mallards.

3. marsh man dan

marsh man dan Elite Refuge Member

Seeing plenty of mallards still wish we could still be chasing them.

4. Lmbkiller

Lmbkiller Senior Refuge Member

U guys must be seeing unicorn ducks, everyone knows the migration moved thru about a month ago. No one does/wants to chase unicorns this late, it's too cold :nutz

5. marsh man dan

marsh man dan Elite Refuge Member

Correct no birds left in the state hope everyone has hung it up for the year

6. SB2MAG

SB2MAG Elite Refuge Member

Lake Michigan is full of ducks. Huge flocks of mallards and black ducks.

7. Den and Jack

Den and Jack Senior Refuge Member

Were you shooting any last weekend? Other years when the ducks were around for several weeks you said they got stale. Hard to put too much energy into this fruitless battle over season dates. I still think late season hunting favors field hunters. I have found that it is getting tougher and tougher to get permission compared to 15 years ago. So I generally go for marsh hunts. I did kill limits of mallards the last 2 days of the season on the Mississippi Zone. I was glad it was over since we had some really cold nights last week. Would I rather have the chance at 4 mallards in December or really good hunting in October when I get 2 mallards, 2 GWT and 2 ringnecks. I like the sure thing in October. My biggest concern is the teal season since that would have the biggest impact on my duck season. I can adapt to zone changes and season dates. I can't choose to hunt teal in September if we don't have a teal season.

8. GK1

GK1 Elite Refuge Member

Hmmmmmmmm.............

9. woodiefanatic

woodiefanatic Senior Refuge Member

Personally I didn't do **** the last weekend of the season. I don't know if I would give up more days in October for December as I've had some super memorable and fun late season hunts but statistically speaking I do better in October/November. I personally voted for a 2 week teal season, statewide opener, 2 hen mallards, eliminating the horicon zone, and checked yes that I would hunt during the 2 weeks if they extended the season. Let the hate begin.

hyper23 likes this.
  10. pud123

pud123 Elite Refuge Member

85,000 people to keep happy, good luck. Again, no one hates a duck hunter as much as another duck hunter. I know this, when season is open I will hunt. That is all.