Chesapeake Flyway Forum Sponsors

Here's your dam duck

Discussion in 'Chesapeake Flyway Forum' started by MUDDYPATUX, Dec 28, 2016.

1. MUDDYPATUX

MUDDYPATUX Elite Refuge Member

This happened Monday afternoon. I haven't been here in quite a while but I had to share this
    My dog Sassy and I were hunting a creek blind Monday afternoon. I like to put my decoys out the day before if I can so I don't have to rush in the morning.... So ... anyway... I didn't expect much action in the evening but you never know unless you try. I got out there at about 3 pm... decoys all set just relaxing and waiting for something to happen. Of course hunting by my self ,looking one way, a small flock of mallards flew right over me from behind. I thought to myself I hope that wasn't my only shot. It is now 10 minutes before sunset and I haven't seen anything close when I spot another group of mallards coming up the creek. I took a passing shot. Shot 3 times, 2 ducks fell, one crippled one dead. I said Let's go get them Sassy. for those of you that don't know, sassy is 11 years old, I don't send her on long retrieves. So we got in the boat and rowed passed the cripple which had made it to the marsh. I marked where it went in. I picked up the dead duck and headed over to the spot where I thought the duck was. I put Sassy overboard and we began to search. She flushed the duck back out into the water but the darn thing got back in the reeds. I could see the reeds wiggling with sassy in hot pursuit. I lost sight of her. I started to call her back... nothing.... I called and called and searched and searched.... the sun went down and no Sassy! I rowed back to the blind and put the boat up... got my head lamp and the side by side and rode back to the spot as close to the marsh as I could and left the lights on.... I began to search again...... Now I am getting worried. Did she get stuck in the mud or worse.. did her old heart give out? I continued to search up and down the marsh until I thought my heart was gonna give out... But I ain't giving up.... I thought let me take a long shot and go back to the house which is about a half a mile away... maybe she's there. As I pulled in to the house.... There she was! I was so glad to see her and so relieved. Then I went to go inside and to my surprise... there was the duck! she had carried it all the way back to the house and dropped it at the front door! as if to say.... here's your dam duck!

2. Montauker

Montauker Elite Refuge Member

I have an 11 year old who gave me a serious scare during the wood duck opener, its only short retrieves now. Glad to hear the ol gal still has it!

3. shoot-straight

shoot-straight Senior Refuge Member

We all have 11 year old dogs.... Debating wether or not to take him with me Friday. Long water retrieves are out, but I could certainly use him in the marsh. He really has begun to show his age.

Great story! its the reason we have and love dogs so much.

4. pat williams

pat williams Senior Refuge Member

great write up & also sounds like a great dog

5. MUDDYPATUX

MUDDYPATUX Elite Refuge Member

here is the dam duck at the door

IMG_0164.JPG

woodsie likes this.
  6. Marshbum

Marshbum Elite Refuge Member

Awesome. Taking my best friend's 11 year old black with me tomorrow as I am dog sitting for him. Using the same principle. My philosophy is to treat his dog better than mine.

7. Back2Maryland

Back2Maryland Senior Refuge Member

Great story, Bob. Good seeing you back on here.

8. Timber Hole

Timber Hole Senior Refuge Member

Awesome story! The ice has thawed around here so my 11 month will get to hunt the next several days. Hope she can still hunt at 11 years old.

9. drahthaarducker

drahthaarducker Elite Refuge Member

Glad she was safe

10. slacktide

slacktide Elite Refuge Member

at work or behind the wheel driving to work...
    Great Story...I am not surprised, she has always been an excellent retriever! Loaded 12-30 019.jpg

Duckin Again? likes this.