Chesapeake Flyway Forum Sponsors

Here's your dam duck

Discussion in 'Chesapeake Flyway Forum' started by MUDDYPATUX, Dec 28, 2016.

1. gooserslucer

gooserslucer Senior Refuge Member

Love a good dog story. The photo says it all.

2. The Other David

The Other David Elite Refuge Member

Thank you for the great story!

3. fowlwhacker

fowlwhacker Elite Refuge Member

glad you and sassy were reunited and there was a happy ending to the story. always hate to hear the story of a lost hunting dog. heard a few of folks who have lost them out of state while hunting and eventually got a call someone had found there dog. even better she brought the duck back with her.

4. duckbuster5901

duckbuster5901 Senior Refuge Member

Similar situation happened years ago to me with first chesapeake i owned. Three men crowded into 4X8 roofed box blind on small island with group of trees as backdrop. Dog stationed behind blind in swamp. Dog normally would have been in blind.Shot at duck passing behind blind thru trees . Didn,t think it was hit but hard to see. Went back to talking and looking forward. Next group of birds come in down some out front. Send dog but no dog. Go looking up and down river for dog to no avail and had never known she,d broke earlier. Go home at end of morning and dog setting on doorstep when I pull into driveway. About 1/2 mile from where blind was and my house but across river channel and thru river swamp. Only thing could imagine was dog broke after that single behind us that we didn,t think went down. Didn,t have bird waiting on doorstep though. I was a happy camper to see her that day and never again did she get positioned where she was out of my site.

5. bombman

bombman Senior Refuge Member

Awesome story. It is tough watching dogs that still have that desire get old. It happens too fast.

Funny story: Was hunting in KS on a public hunting area pond in Nov. We put the decoys out and hide in some brush. I am on the far left and I keep hearing something running to my left in the large shallow pond. My friends tell me it must be a deer. First flock of widgeon come in and four hunters knock down 5. My buddies dog, a BL, who rode with us in the truck goes out to retrieve a bird when an old chocolate lab runs by me and retrieves a duck 15 yards in front of me. I asked, did we bring two dogs (1 hunter met us there)? My friend says no. I yelled for the dog to heel/come and when he didn't I told him no, leave it. He dropped the duck. I walked towards him and he ran off. We didn't know if someone else was hunting the pond, even though we had the only vehicles in the parking lot, so we just kept hunting. For the rest of the hunt, every time we called ducks the dog ran to the waters edge and watched the birds. When we shot he tried to retrieve the birds and run off with them. We finally got him to come to us so we placed a slip lead on him and tied him to a tree. We called the game warden to ask if anyone had reported a lost dog. While tied to the tree, he went nuts and started howling/barking every time we called birds. When we let him off the lead we watched him run across a field toward a ranch house far off in the distance. Even with him running around, we still had a great hunt, limiting out on widgeon and a few mallards.

Doug

gooserslucer likes this.
  6. Shawn Swearingen

Shawn Swearingen New Member

That's a wonderful story, MUDDYPATUX, and glad she met you at home! The bird is just icing on the cake. Those old dogs always have a few (good) surprises up their sleeves.

7. boodog

boodog Senior Refuge Member

Great story. You gotta love the heart in these retrievers.

8. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

A few years ago we were goose hunting on the farm. There was another blind that was being hunted about 150 yards away. I shot a goose " out there" between the two blinds and I was a little slow in going out for the retrieve because we thought another flock in the distance might come in. As I get walking out and about half way there, our other lease members send their dog out to retrieve my goose. I see that and I start running. The dog beat me to it by a few seconds and I started an animated run chasing the dog with my fist raised up in the air threatening the guys in the other blind with my fist and hollering insults at the dog. We all had a great laugh then and also at mid day when they returned my goose back at the trucks.

9. NCBADGES

NCBADGES North / South Carolina Flyway Moderator Moderator

That's a great story...and a great dog.

ncb

10. Tad

Tad Elite Refuge Member

Awesome story!

:clap