Herter's burlap decoys

Discussion in 'Diver Hunters Forum' started by Blackducks, Jan 1, 2004.

1. Blackducks

Blackducks Elite Refuge Member

Not sure how many of you guys use/like these decoys? I know they are expensive and all but for hunting divers I really like them. I love my Goldeneye and Bufflehead decoys. I even have some for puddle ducks and like them as well. They can keep their regular foam dekes but the burlapped ones are great.

Anyway... the point of this is if you like these decoys then you best get on the phone to Cabela's because it looks like they are being phased out. The Goldeneyes and Bufflheads( think she also said Can's and Redheads but not sure )are already discontinued in burlap models. My Sister got me some of the Buffleheads for Christmas from the ones Cabela's has left. I really wanted some more Goldeneyes but they are long gone.

If you want some of the burlapped dekes, and don't want to do it yourself, then you best order some now. For some reason they are being phased out?

Just FYI for you. They no longer show the burlap dekes on their web site but they are in the 2003 Waterfowl catalog and many are available.

2. lwingwatcher

lwingwatcher Elite Refuge Member

Or, you can buy blanks and have Tom at Toledo Decoy Company burlap and paint them for you. I think he has already made up ones for sale too at prices cheaper than Cabelas wants for their Herters.

3. Quarne

Quarne Elite Refuge Member

Thanks for the info. I've got something like 10 dozen burlap herter's and I just bought a dozen of the ultimate model 72 cans. Guess what? I actually like the ultimates better. They are lighter and actually wear better than the burlap ones do. BUT, it will still suck that we can no longer get burlap herter's. I kind of had a feeling that this was coming. Especially after Herter's was sold to Cabela's. I sure do miss the original Herter's store in Beaver Dam. The new one just ain't the same.

4. jt_duckaholic23

jt_duckaholic23 Senior Refuge Member

I don't use them for the simple fact of price, but I have looked at them in Cabelas, they are the hardest decoys I have ever felt in my life. Stray shot probably wouldnt even affect it other than paint chipping. If I were you I would buy them if you have the cash. Their sweet decoys....

5. christian1

christian1 Senior Refuge Member

tom at toledo decoys does a great job. if you can't get the herters anymore give him a jingle. good guy to deal with

chris