Decoy Forum Sponsors

Herters

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by W&W, Feb 5, 2018.

1. W&W

W&W New Member

So what is the deal with Herters decoys? Apparently they are no longer made, and as a result that is why I see people selling them for $250 a dozen? They look bulky and more of a nostalgia peice than anything... Ive also heard that they can take abuse, minus the heads cracking. Ive seen much better looking decoys for half of the price. Are they worth what people are asking?

2. duckbuster5901

duckbuster5901 Senior Refuge Member

When used herters could be picked up cheap and rehabbed they were a bargain, not so much now with prices commanded on ebay . You can buy new homers decoys for less than what some people are trying to get for their herters. The homers are a world above the herters in durability and being life like. And yes the herters draw has a lot to do with nostalgia. All this being said if you know where I can find a few #72 herters divers for about $5 a piece I,ll jump on them!

3. snipe n

snipe n Senior Refuge Member

Not sure any plastic is as good with under 10 mile an hour wind. They move when you don't feel wind. Love Herters but they need to be restle coated once they loose their factory paint. Its just tough to get paint to stick for long against the foam.

4. Montauker

Montauker Elite Refuge Member

Plastics sink once they get shot. Good foamers like Herters or Homers will last you a lifetime and then your kid's lifetime and they are much much easier to repaint than plastics.

As stated above if you can get them for $5 a piece they are worth getting and painting. Homer's heads are unbreakable. Do your homework on painting the heads though. Prep, temp. and paint combo are very very important to get proper adhesion.

5. Fowler267

Fowler267 Elite Refuge Member

Herter's are good if you leave them out. They were the original decoy in need of a slotted bag to protect them!

New Herter's would like like dammit after one season of mobile hunting with the decoys being bagged up daily.

6. NOLUCK

NOLUCK Senior Refuge Member

In a word NO. I grew up hunting over Herters decoys. I burlaped what I had and what I could get when Cabela's decided to close them out, about 300 of them. I still got tired of the yearly touch up mainly of the tails from setting them down bringing in the long lines. I sold all of them and went to Tanglefree Migration Series plastics that are foam filled. They have been hunted on Lake Erie in wind up 50 mph. and ride as well as or better than the Herters. Other than the ones that have chunks blown out I haven't touched up any after 4 seasons. Some of them have 30 plus pellet holes in them something I don't think even a Herters decoy would handle.

7. W&W

W&W New Member

The look of Herters have grown on me somewhat. However not to the point of where im willing to spend $250 per dozen. I dont hunt big, big water on my own, so there really is no need for them I guess. It would be cool to have a 72 for the mantle though.

Ringbill likes this.
  8. ten times better

ten times better Senior Refuge Member

I have 5 dz suc ducks I dz millium the rest have the old dresses for walk in hunting they r hard to beat imo ps I think I bought the old ones 4dz about 1968 but ive lost 2 hens.

mister gadwall likes this.
  9. boykinsbuddy

boykinsbuddy Elite Refuge Member

For the old EPS foamers, I would pay more for the old Decoy Unlimited suck-duck style blocks over any of them as far as ride and look go. With that being said if I were going to get just an EPS foam rig, I would opt for Fowl Foolers, Homers, or one of the others and then burlap or coat them instead of paying that new price for old used blocks.
    Many of us enjoy going over our decoys and repainting them to extend or prep for the next season. It is fun and also great to involve your kids. Back when I first got started as a kid I made a pile for The Mad Duck's pop in their backyard...and enjoyed every minute of it. And some of those birds are still around almost 40 years later. Tony sent me some of his sleepers this week to add to the rig and they are top-notch when it comes to an EPS bird. I have a killer rig I'm working on now of mostly Dixie Decoy divers that are incredibly rigid urethane, and the sleepers and my old 40+ Decoy Unlimited divers will look great together on the water next season...and will certainly be able to get handed down to my grand kids when I'm no longer around.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
    WHUP ! Hen likes this.
  10. Capt. John Stieben

Capt. John Stieben Refuge Member

If they are 72 divers I would give more than $250 a dozen for if they were new old stock in anything but bluebills. Like them or not there is value in them if you got them.