Decoy Forum Sponsors

Herters

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by W&W, Feb 5, 2018.

1. W&W

W&W New Member

I took a look at those Dixie Decoys. They have the classic look without the price. I think Ill get a dozen and test their durability. It will give me something to do in the off season without totally emptying my bank account.

2. Montauker

Montauker Elite Refuge Member

I really like the Dixies. I bought a dozen and will probably buy another dozen this Spring.

I gotta clear out some older stuff though.

3. Big Gun

Big Gun Senior Refuge Member

Boy, I sure do have some pretty Millennium Herters Bluebills in the basement. They are just part of my varied collection of Herter's.

4. theduckguru

theduckguru Elite Refuge Member

Herters made a really good decoy for the open water hunter. Herters decoys never were a great choice to toss in a bag and carry in - although in later years they produced a Suc-Duc decoy that was light for that purpose.

The foam decoys are very durable, easily repaired and painted, and handle waves very well. The plastic decoys were built like a tank. If I was a lake hunter, I would still be using Herters decoys.

Herters was also producing full body Canada goose field decoys in 1970 - well ahead of the market.

Sad day when they went under.

Ringbill likes this.
  5. W&W

W&W New Member

You guys are making me want to buy some Herters just to say that I have some.

Ringbill likes this.
  6. NOLUCK

NOLUCK Senior Refuge Member

As it goes with anything else they are worth whatever someone will pay for them. They are actually a piece of waterfowl history. There is NO hunting decoy worth $250.00 a dozen. Especially ones that are going to get holes put in them.

7. musher

musher Elite Refuge Member

I like Herters decoys. I have several dozen of various sizes. Every year I coat some and repaint. Eventually I’ll have a pretty big spread of reworked Herters.

The heads are the problem. I’ve replaced a lot with Homer heads. Can’t say nothing but good about the Homer heads and decoy bodies.

8. Rubberhead

Rubberhead Elite Refuge Member

Herter's decoys are like redheaded women. At first, you really don't get what everybody's talking about. Then, for one reason or another you give 'em a try. After that, nothing else will do...

[​IMG]

JD1107 and musher like this.
  9. lax

lax Elite Refuge Member

$250 dz for Herter's seems fair considering what some will pay for .40 cent Chinese plastic.

musher likes this.
  10. W&W

W&W New Member

I will say, those are some good ole classic, traditional lookin' decoys, Rubberhead. Its gotta be a good feeling killin birds over those.