Herters

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by W&W, Feb 5, 2018.

1. mister gadwall

mister gadwall Senior Refuge Member

bought my first dozen 72 mallards in 1972. Have added several dozen more. IMO no other magnum mallard/black duck decoy has better swimming motion in light to moderate winds than those 72s. I consider the care and feeding of those decoys to be part of the lure of waterfowling. I ve never broken a head in n normal use, but driving over one will however break a head off. Gasoline is not their friend. I love them.

aka quackshot likes this.
  2. Rubberhead

Rubberhead Elite Refuge Member

Thanks but it's really only the bodies that are Herters - I did the burlapping and used wooden replacement heads. I prefer the Herter's ultimates (foam covered in a hard plastic shell). They're lighter than burlapped decoys...

Herter's ultimate cans with AW heads...

[​IMG]

3. Rubberhead

Rubberhead Elite Refuge Member

mister gadwall,
    I thought you'd appreciate these...

[​IMG]

Bubba, aka quackshot and snipe n like this.
  4. UpNorth218

UpNorth218 New Member

My uncle gave up duck hunting a couple years back and gave me most of his decoys, including a few dozen herter 72s. The paint was worn on most of them, but it was easy enough to repaint them. After hunting over them a couple seasons side by side with plastics, I have to say that I love them. They just seem to ride in the water really well and have more of a lifelike motion to them. Granted, after a couple seasons they are needing to be touched up again with the paint. My plans are to burlap half of them and see what I think of that. I did also keep a couple all original just to display because of the history with them

5. Bubba

Bubba Senior Refuge Member

I've been working on 2 dozen as time permitted since the season ended and though about posting pics until I saw those, lol.

Beautiful work, RH!

6. Bubba

I restle coated with Titebond III and sawdust and used rattle cans for the paint. The detail was done by spraying a puddle of paint onto some cardboard and applying with a foam brush.....

IMG_3094.jpg

I'll deal with the heads later.

Rubberhead and snipe n like this.
  7. Tailfisher17t

Tailfisher17t Senior Refuge Member

I have 6 63 bufflehead ultimate's. I wish I had more!! I wish I knew someone that could apply that plastic coating they have and I would do that to all my herters!!

Be careful with that rattle can, I have melted a few herters in the past. all mine are now burlapped and have extra mastic then primed and covered with killz 2.

8. Bubba

9. saltdux

saltdux Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

Herters decoys are classics. We've been running all the sizes and configurations for diver's, sea ducks, brant, puddlers for decades . Glad we picked up all the ones we did while they were still available, because you're right-- prices are certainly going up for them on auction. Herter's are worth it... but as has been said here they need to be Restle coated or burlapped to beef up the shell and hold paint-- after that, they'll be timeless.

Here's a mix of some new ones I was working on for the brant rig this past January-- 81 and 92 bodies w/ the some of the new Homer head positions plus some 81 Classic's from my grandpa's rig back in the early 70's. ( modified Toledo goldeneye in the foreground )
    [​IMG]

and some various sizes and work stages of ultimate 63's & 72's on the workbench. Mix of Toledo, E'Allen and Stocker heads. I've found that stainless hardware and Restle coating the bottoms with epoxy filler and a strip of fiberglass along the metal keel line really helps with the saltwater exposure.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some of my rig birds have been used regularly since the 90's, doing guide service work every week, in every condition during the waterfowl season and still going strong. My kids will inherit this rig and be hunting over generations of dekes.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2018
    Rubberhead and aka quackshot like this.
  10. W&W

W&W New Member

Ok its settled. You all have convinced me. I have to get some. I never thought id drop $250 for a dozen old decoys. This duck hunting thing is expensive! But lets be honest, I cant get enough of it.