Decoy Forum Sponsors

Herters

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by W&W, Feb 5, 2018.

1. EWUEagles

EWUEagles Senior Refuge Member

I have 14 mallard herter 72's flat bottoms that I would sell for 140 you pay shipping.

2. Daniel Fisher

Daniel Fisher New Member

They are pretty nice decoys for 35 bucks a dozen.

3. Ringbill

Ringbill Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

I'm here in Minnie, where my dad would take me with as a kid in the summer as we'd make the drive to their complex down in Waseca, back in the 60s. I've hunted over Herters decoys all my life & have refurbished & restored lots of them that are 60+ years old that I hunt over each fall, in some of the same rice bays I hunted as a kid.
    Yes, my dad even had some of their full bodied Honker field decoys we used almost 50 years ago. George was very innovative, love his waterfowl hunting & was a heckuva salesman ! Man, did they have the products & gear.

Ringbill

4. Fowler267

Fowler267 Elite Refuge Member

George would have been a great guy to spend a few days in the blind with! I bet he could keep the stories going!

Ringbill likes this.
  5. Canadian hitman

Canadian hitman Senior Refuge Member

Picked up a nice score today. 5.5 dozen Supremes, some never used, others in like new condition, all rigged.

Attached Files:

6. mister gadwall

mister gadwall Senior Refuge Member

I have a pile of 72 mallards and some blacks. Maybe five-six dozen. Been hunted over throughout the decades from mid 60s. All repainted from time to time, no result and no burlap so far. Maybe a repaired head or two, and I drove the boat trailer over two of them.

7. Matt Barnard

Matt Barnard Elite Refuge Member

I have several dozen model 50's. the hard plastic ones. I have bills, redheads and cans. I gave some cans to my friends back east that killed cans with me, to put on the same plaque that the bird is mounted. I also have several dozen Tex wirtz in all of the species of ducks that he made. I had a few of the Herters full body foam geese, and a few dozen of their plastic full body geese that I sold for cheap to some neighbor kids to get them started goose hunting. I actually got to see the foam duck making machine in Woonsocket SD. It would make 12 at a time, then they went to be spray painted. The machine is gone to the best of my knowledge. Some one said to China. Who knows. It is kinda like Raiders of the Lost Ark. They crated the Ark in secrecy, and no one knows where. A market that would see interest, but may never be seen again, because some bean counter says so.

Fowler267 likes this.
  8. aka quackshot

aka quackshot Senior Refuge Member

There are several stories out there about what happened to the decoy machine. Some say it was destroyed others say it went to China. I have heard that it was just sitting in a warehouse somewhere. I would like to know what really happened to it. It is interesting that it would make 12 decoys at a time.

9. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

It's possible that is why even today all companies sell decoys based on a dozen. Interesting.

10. Ringbill

Ringbill Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

I've been restle coating some Herter's here recently and they sure are much more durable and look great, and I didn't change out any heads. I came across a bunch at a garage sale and just restle coated them and will custom paint them for the guy that wants to buy them .

Ringbill