Hevi Shot Choke Tube Patterns

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by deacondev, Dec 19, 2017.

1. deacondev

deacondev New Member

Hi Folks,
    I recently found a deal at Mack's PW on Hevi shot cases of ammo. Those cases came with the ability to choose either a blind bag or Hevi Shot chokes. I chose the chokes for my new Browning BPS. My patterns were inconsistent with the factory choke tubes. After reading many posts on this site talking about how Hevi Shot shooters were somehow being sold on the Hevi shot name, not actual performance, I was wondering if I made the proper decision choosing the chokes.

I received the chokes, Hevi-Shot Extended Range and Mid Range, a couple of days ago, and took them to the range today to ease my mind. If I can post the pictures, they will show that the chokes perform as promised.

To make the pictures easier to understand, each target has a number, and the yardage was accurate at our gun club. MR stands for Mid range choke. ER stands for Extended range choke. HS stands for Hevi-Shot Ammo. HM stands for Hevi-Metal. BC stands for Black Cloud. The targets are a bit rudimentary in that I drew circles on presentation paper, then took a 15" string and put it as close as I could to the center of the pattern, and drew a 30" diameter. I then counted the number of hits within the circle, which is represented by the circled number in the upper left corner.

I am satisfied that if I do my part, my gun is good far beyond my normal expectations. If you have questions about Hevi-shot chokes, hopefully this will help you settle any questions in your mind.
    IMG_2609.JPG IMG_2610.JPG IMG_2611.JPG IMG_2612.JPG IMG_2613.JPG

2. deacondev

deacondev New Member

upload_2017-12-19_21-2-47.png

Attached Files:

3. deacondev

deacondev New Member

4. deacondev

deacondev New Member

5. deacondev

deacondev New Member

6. deacondev

deacondev New Member

7. deacondev

deacondev New Member

8. deacondev

deacondev New Member

9. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

Well, what I learned was, until you got to 35 yards, you patters were insufficient to provide consistent kills on ducks. You need 85+ hits for large ducks, 115+ for medium ducks.
    Your HS 2's were fine, but the 4's were too thin for large geese. 2's at that range are the minimum recommended. That said, you might be fine with the 4's on geese.
    The BC and HM's would be useless at 50 yards, regardless of the target.

You can review the recommendations here:
    https://tpwd.texas.gov/huntwild/wild/game_management/dove_summary/include/roster_nontoxic_shot.pdf

The numbers are not hard and fast, but based on a lot of research. You can stretch some of the ranges, but pattern density is WAY more important. Smaller pellets can take out head/neck hit birds, but you need the pattern density for that. I don't see that in your patterns.

10. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor Flyway Manager

If some of those are with Hevi shot or what they are selling for Hevi shot now then your patterns aren't that great as Native pointed out. Here's patterns with the original Hevi shot
    10 Gauge 1 3/4 #2 Hevi .735 Terror Tube 40 yards
    #2hevi735T.JPG
    10 gauge 1 3/4 #2 Hevi .705 Terror Tube 40 yards
    #2hevi705T.JPG
    16 Gauge #6 Hevi 40 yards Factory full Remchoke
    16g#6hevi.JPG