Hevi Shot???? Is It Worth The Money????

Discussion in 'Florida Flyway Forum' started by Drylock-BBB, Dec 16, 2003.

1. Drylock-BBB

Drylock-BBB Banned

Just was wondering if hevi shot is really all people make it to be. Is it really all that much better than steel? Is it the only load for ducks at around 30 yards a further?

2. Bullet

Bullet Refuge Member

From what I've read, it is awesome, the best of the steel shot alternatives. Heavier than lead, hard as steel, makes it the ultimate shot.
    Turkey hunters are using it because it patterns better and hits harder than copper plated lead.:eek:

Haven't used it myself due to cost and locally unavailable.

Cost isn't really a factor for turkey or once a year goose hunt though.

3. bacgreen7

bacgreen7 Senior Refuge Member

I bought four boxes and tried it out this year and I was not impressed. As far as the price goes I will stick with Kent Fasteel.

4. MissedAgain

MissedAgain Elite Refuge Member

I just bought a box of 2-3/4 #4's just yesterday - I'm making a special trip for canvasbacks and want the extra knock-down power and tighter pattern if I have to shoot long ranges to get my trophy bird.

Otherwise I'll be shooting the $8/box Winchester X in #4 steel. It kills birds well for me. I can't reload for $8 a box!

All the hype and the data looks really good.

It is just the price! Looking at close to $40 for 25 shells! That's 5 boxes for me...

5. backcast03

backcast03 Senior Refuge Member

I've been wondering the same thing, but at Sports Authority has boxes of 100 Drylox for $40. Hevi Shot is going to have to wait.

6. MissedAgain

MissedAgain Elite Refuge Member

I'm in FL now but when I was up north shooting mallards and blacks and geese I used to shoot #1 Drylocks exclusively. Nothing else killed them quite like those loads did.

I once took a black duck at 63 paced off yards as it jumped up and headed away! A little far but it worked.

7. Floridaboy

Floridaboy Moderator

It is just as easy to miss with Hevi shot as it is with the others. :D

Anyway, I have some but have not really put it to the test yet.

Like MissedAgain stated, I have them if I need extra knock down power.

If you are decoying birds within 30-35 yards and your shells have at least a 1300 fps rating, you should be fine.

8. bacgreen7

bacgreen7 Senior Refuge Member

Yeah you still gotta know how to shoot, I thought it would make me hit every duck.:D

9. D Duck

D Duck Moderator

I am currently handloading HS in a 2-3/4" hull. I can use #6's to get better pellet count, with a lower pressure than that of steel (comperable to #3's). More expensive, yes, but maybe worth it in ammo savings - I'll let you know by end of season my complete opinion.

10. Skunked

Skunked Senior Refuge Member

I am shooting hand loaded 2 3/4 HS #5 this season on everything up to Sea Ducks.

Bang, Bang, the're dead. Next season, I am going to go to HS #3 3" for geese.

BOAT=$$$$$
    GUN=$$$$
    ACCESSORIES=$$$$$
    TIME=$$$
    WIFE GRIEF=priceless

HS, pocket change.

HS, if you can shoot (if not, get thee to a 5-stand and/or sporting clays course off season), makes for fewer cripples and a better hunt.

Don't be penny wise and pound foolish.