Hevi Shot???? Is It Worth The Money????

Discussion in 'Florida Flyway Forum' started by Drylock-BBB, Dec 16, 2003.

1. northfla_hunter

northfla_hunter Senior Refuge Member

:rolleyes: yea, tell that to all the dead ducks weve killed with em. #4 faststeels are all i use and have never had a problem. i rarely ever have a cripple.
    why is this though?? -- because i only take shots i KNOW i have a very good possibility of making. you have no business taking shots out to 60-70yds, PERIOD! they are definitely not decoying so these are passing shots from that far, youre chances of knocking birds dead is slim no matter what youre shooting. if you can consistantly knock em down from that distance youre a damn good shot. i just dont believe it.

i have said it before, people killed many a duck before the days of super fancy camo, 3.5" shells and hevishot so they arent required. money cant make you a good hunter. it can compensate for a lot, but if youre a good hunter and a good shot, you dont need hevishot. if you have to spend that much to kill ducks, i suggest to take a look at how youre hunting (why you cant get birds closer) or take a few trips to the skeet range.

2. 10ga

10ga Elite Refuge Member

i just bought my 1st 2 boxes and so far they are deadly. 4 shots of 3.5, #6 shot and i'm talking dead. 4 ducks in and 4 ducks dead. this is the 1st time this year i haven't had to shoot a 2nd time to kill a bird that i dropped. i am anti steel and have been since they started making us use the junk. when you shoot ducks and see feathers blows out of it's hind end and they keep on flying there is a problem. my personal opinion is that steel has done more harm than good, i would like to know how many cripples that steel shot has caused. hevi-shot is just as good as lead and the next time i buy some it will be 2 3/4 or 3", the 3.5's are more than you need. i hope they do come down in price, i paid $3. a shell for the 3.5's and that's way to high. i think the 3" are $1.60 a shell, still high but worth it to know when you hit a duck it's going to drop and not fly off and die later.

3. duckmanJR

duckmanJR Senior Refuge Member

I'm with you NFH...All this 3 1/2" hevi shot bla-bla-bla.... All it means is that you are
    1) Not where the ducks want to be...scout more
    2) A poor shot who needs to go shoot some sporting clay
    3) have poor calling/decoy placement skills...
    As with any sport...concentrate on the fundamentals and stop looking for a "magic bullet" to make a hunter out of you.
    That is my stand on steel shot.....

That said.... If it were a once in a lifetime "dream trip" I might pop for the "hevi-shot" since I have a 2 3/4"& 3" chambered gun and geese are big birds.....not because I think you should shoot at birds that are in a differant time zone! :D

4. 10ga

10ga Elite Refuge Member

i haven't taken a shot over 30 yards, i only decoy birds, no pass shooting. steel is junk, period. before the steel shot days the biggest shell we shot was 3" and that was good enough. with hevi-shot 2 3/4" shells will do the job when decoying birds and taking 25 to 30 yard shots. hevi shot is 10% heavier than lead and 54% heavier than steel. as bad of a year we've had i really haven't had to worry about spending a lot of money on shells. when the birds take the last pass around the dekes i like my chances better with hevi-shot. just my .02

5. kontekontos

kontekontos Elite Refuge Member

I have only used it once. I think if you can hit your target than it is great. I nailed a widgeon at leat 40 yards and it dropped it stone cold dead and about tore and hole in the duck. I think it is worth the money if you can hit your target,but if you can't shoot very well,then your just wasting money. So il just continue to shoot regular steel shot since i suck at shooting.

konte

6. MissedAgain

MissedAgain Elite Refuge Member

I did a 'dream trip' for canvasbacks over Christmas and bought Hevi-Shot after hearing that cans are as tough as nails.

Long story short, a 25 yard shot decimated my first canvasback (drake) - That duck was very dead before his wings even folded - not a mountable bird. A second bird (my dad's - also a drake) was hit with 1 pellet at 30 or 40 or 50 yards...landed about 80-yards out and just sat there after flipping around a little bit. The #4 went thru the breast and into the chest cavity. It never tried to run or anything until we got it in the boat and put it down.

Hevi-shot is some serious stuff. Never seen a duck just sit there while a boat approaches it...

I'll use it again if I go after more 'trophy' birds or canada geese. Otherwise I'll be using steel.

Anyone try Tungsten? Its a couple bucks cheaper and supposed to be almost as good. Another question is why do they sell the shells in a 10 count box now? They should be selling 25 at a pop.

7. BushquackerfromSDH

BushquackerfromSDH Senior Refuge Member

Try 7 1/2 Hevishot, It is awesome on woodies, and gives you a bigger pattern too.

8. mottler

mottler Elite Refuge Member

I shot a box of #4 heavy and was not impressed. have you ever cut one open. here's what you will find. a variety of shot averaging #4 some are as big as #2 some are #6 and some are just giant meteor looking pieces. the shot it all irregular. pellent count is as follows 3 inch #4 heavy 165 pieces. 2 3/4 inch #4 kent fast steel 200 nice uniform pellets. pattern is everything.

9. MissedAgain

MissedAgain Elite Refuge Member

Mottler,

With all respect - you haven't been reading the articles or researching the issue at all. This stuff does not behave like the Physicists says it should.

The irregular shot is well known.

It will out-pattern any shotgun shell designed yet. The ads in the magazines are not made up - the stuff is very tight. also usable in older guns.

They are making Turkey loads as well as duck loads. The heavy weight and tight patterns make it so appealing to turkey hunters.

It is just plain a miracle that the stuff works, nevermind exceeds everything else.

We aren't complaining about the shot or performance - just the price. If they sold 25 shells for $30, most of us would be all over it.

10. mottler

mottler Elite Refuge Member

I have read all about it and who says you need that tight of a pattern. especially with pellets carying that much kinetic energy. if you could put one down with two heavy shot pellets instead of four steel pellets why do you want a smaller pattern. explains all the missing and wasting of expensive bullets at $2 a piece. they might make a great turkey load though but just not a good design for duck killing. I'll take a faster load with more pellets anytime. 40 more pellets in a 2 3/4 shell as opposed to a 3 inch is alot more dense of a pattern in the right choke tube.