Hevi Shot???? Is It Worth The Money????

Discussion in 'Florida Flyway Forum' started by Drylock-BBB, Dec 16, 2003.

1. Lawrence

Lawrence Refuge Member

Missed again, Where in TX, La., of Mexico do you go for the dream can hunt?? I need to get one one day. I just don't know if it is going to happen hear in central Fl. I do know some people that have bagged them though.

2. MissedAgain

MissedAgain Elite Refuge Member

Lawrance,

PM me. my dad and I shot our canvasbacks in Florida.

I'm working on a book about where the ducks in FL are during the duck season and it will be ready before the next season. Actually it will be done in March, just need some time to tweak it for a July release. I'm also working on a book on how to properly hunt ducks in FL. Also to be released before this next season.

Mottler,

No-one said you have to shoot full choke. You can shoot a more open choke.

We miss for several reasons - lack of practice, get too excited, mount the gun wrong, bird too far out, etc... It isn't the shell's fault.

I miss as much as anyone these days - hadn't shot since the last day of the season last year, went out and got 2 birds opening day for a box of shells - who's fault? mine.

3. mottler

mottler Elite Refuge Member

for the record I shoot skeet in the bottom barrel and imp cyl in the top. as far as practice how are we supposed to get tuned in to shooting ducks when there aren't enough to shoot more than a couple times a day. skeet and doves are just not the same as ducks. hard to get in the groove no matter what shell your shooting.

4. MissedAgain

MissedAgain Elite Refuge Member

Amen to that Mottler.

I like IC and modified chokes.

5. M.E.Brazell

M.E.Brazell Senior Refuge Member

Well Noth Fl hunter can use all the #4 steel he wants to. Unless I'm hunting Woddies in the timber and darned close you couldn't run fast enough to GIVE me #4 steel. If I had a dollar for every duck I've seen crippled with the stuff, I could retire! As far as 60-70 yard shots The 70 yard shots were when somebody in the blind "crippled" them with steel and we finished them off.I have killed cripples on the water farther than that and with one shot. By the way it was a steel user in our blind that crippled them.We don't make a habit of 70 yard shots! We HAVE killed ducks at 60 yards withHevi. We try to get them closer but MOST of my hunting is done with my buddies in KY. For the past 3 years the weather hasn't pushed the ducks down and ALL we get to shoot at is decoy shy local ducks. I haven't seen 2 flocks come into the decoys in the past two years! The ducks come and circle high, then leave. You either take a 50 yard shot or you DON"T shoot. We shoot FULL chokes or IMP.MOD. and use #4 Hevi-Shot or #2 Hevi-shot. I am a competition shooter who shoots well over 10,000 shells a year and I have done a whole lot more pattern testing that anybody I know. I do know Hevi-Shot works. At 40 plus yards #2 Hevi-shot will blast holes right through galvanived tin! Try that with your #4 steel and watch them bouce back in you face. I really don't give a tinkers d@^N what he or anybody else believes. If he wants to shoot #4 steel-- well it's a free country. I will use steel#3's or larger (under 30yards) (and MAYBE steel BB's out to 40 but that's streaching it.When the shots are long, I load Hevi. Iam not about to risk crippling ducks just to save a few bucks on shotgun shells. I'll buy the best shell I can afford. I never said steel won't kill. It will kill in close but the risk factor for cripples is much higher.I have been shooting it for two years now and haven't shot at one duck that I didn't miss or it hit the water GRAVE YARD DEAD. I'm not asking anybody to take my word for the Hevi-Shot performance. Simply take two old phone books and shoot one with steel at 50 yards. Then shoot the other with the same size shot using the Hevi-Shot. Then come back and tell me Hevi-Shot won't kill a duck at that range. The question was asked IF I thought Hevi-Shot was worth the money. My answer is "only if you want to kill ducks"!:mad:

6. danabrun

danabrun Refuge Member

I shot Hevishot #2 one day in Texas for geese and it did not do any better than steel BB. If you are a very good shot and are comfortable at 50 yard shots it might be worth the price. I won't shoot at anything "outside the decoys" which is 35 yards - yes I measure. My partner, who is an excellent shot, is a good candidate for Hevishot. The paradox is that he is a poor student who cannot afford the stuff.

7. M.E.Brazell

M.E.Brazell Senior Refuge Member

danabrun, First you say your partner is an excellent shot but "can't afford to shoot Hevi-Shot" Let's do the math. I buy Hevi-Shot for about $1.60 per shell. A box of decent steel loads(not the mart junk) will run you a little over 1/3 of that, BUT if it takes 3 shots to anchor a bird(which happens very often) you are NOT saving money and doesn't count the cripples that fly off to die and become fox food. Now let's examine your statement about #2 Hevi-Shot being NO BETTER that steel BB's at 35 yards. I agree, but remember we are talking 35 yards here. To use that logic you could say that my 30-06 is no better at killing deer than my 30-30. Well, I guess at 50 yards that statement is true. How dead can dead be? However, in a bean field at 250 plus yards there is no contest and nobody I know would tote a 30-30 for such work! At 35 yards it probably makes no difference if you are shooting and steel BB's or Hevi-shot 2's will both get the job done, but streach that to 40 yards and your steel BB's are rapidly starting to run out of gas. Add just 5 more at 45 yards(and many geese are pass shot at that range) and your steel BB's are becoming a real crippler. Beyond that and you will be EXTREMLY lucky to anchor a goose with a single shot and you will cripple more than you will kill. Two things kill waterfowl. Energy and pattern density. Hevi-Shot EXCEEDS the pellet energy of steel even with much smaller pellets while at the same time INCREASING the pattern density of the load. I notice that nobody(and wisely so) have claimed that steel retains the energy of Hevi-Shot. I can prove that with ANY penetration test you want to try. My guess is those who claim it doesn't pattern well have never put it on paper. I had a guy tell me once it MUST have a poor pattern because he wasn't killing ducks with it, When we actually put in on paper, his mouth dropped open. The pattern was putting almost ALL of the shot inside a 25in circle at 40 yards! His problem was the pattern was so tight he was MISSING ducks with it. A little fact here. The hardest test of a pattern I that know of is the NWTF pattern competition. Folks come from all over and spend tons of money on guns and loads trying to win it. Well guess WHICH load won in 2000,2001,2002,and 2003? The last four years in a row! It was Hevi-Shot. If you don't beleive me call them and ask them! All that being said I do use some steel. When shots are close in the timber I'll use fast steel loads and they DO kill ducks IF they are close enough, but for pass shooting and ANY long range waterfowl shooting there is no way steel even comes close to the Hevi-Shot load and it never will.

8. duckunter

duckunter Senior Refuge Member

I was in Arkansas hunting w/ a buddy and he bought some hevi shot at Hawks in Blytheville, AR. 3 1/2 inch 4 shot I think for $20.05 a box. I thought if that is what he wants to spend his $ on it more power to him.

When we started shooting ducks Saturday morning and he would start off with 1 hevi shot and 2 steels in his gun. It was not even close. That stuff is deadly. It was just like having lead again. The force of that hevi shot was unbelievable. He crippled one drake that would have not even hit the water w/ steel. I shot at it again on the water to put it out of its misery and what steel made it to him just bounced off. The drake was done for anyway, it's head was drooping by the time they picked it up.

Is it worth it? If you are a good shot. Hell yes!! I would imagine that a good shot would shoot about 1/2 less shells w/ the hevi shot. That would make up for some of the cost. And if you only hunt a few days out of the year, you might as well pick up a box every month or two and be stocked up for next year.

I have become a believer and that is what I am shooting next season. I shot lead for 10 yrs or so and I am itching for a return to the good ole days. No more losing ducks every day I hunt.

duckunter

9. LarryA

LarryA Refuge Member

Last year I hunted a dozen times with a guy that used hevi shot exclusively. He said that he started using it because he hadn't been getting many shot opportunities. We both shot and bagged about the same amount. Mostly got limits of teal, ringers and bills. There was no doubt that it is better for long range cripple shooting, denser pattern. But it is NOT worth the difference in price.

This year I found that the cheap Winchester High Speed 1 1/8 oz of #3 steel were patterning poorly in my mod choke. I switched to full choke and was amazed at the patterns at 30 to 40+ yds. So were some mallards :D.

The latest issue of the Delta Waterfowl magazine compares steel to lead in many factors including pattern density. I believe in their statistics. One ringneck I shot at 40+ yds had five pellets in it. The rounder steel pellets fly straighter than lead or hevi shot.

10. WWINGS

WWINGS Senior Refuge Member

Quote by MissedAgain

I agree. Most of us dont have more money than sense, and have learned to get the birds withing range before attempting to shoot them.

Alot of guys must watch "Ducks with Billy and ButtF***k" and think 70yd shots are normal. :eek: