Hevi shot X

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Akstacy3, Jul 13, 2017.

1. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

There must be less smoke where you live as you're thinking more clearly these days ! :yes
    The equation to most of what you're saying is Marksmanship , he who has targets , better be shoot'n and he who has the "right" loads for the distance
    he normally kills his birds , usually is the one with the full strap ! :tu

I'm looking for the Win Dove & Trap loads ( 1 1/8 oz at 1275 fps and can't seem to find them in Winchesters Catalog......Would you be Bs'ing again ?

2. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

You are correct, they are Estates. All I remembered sitting in my chair was a white box, and that said Winchester in my mind.
    The brand wasn't the emphasis of my post. But, you focus on the minutia, so that doesn't surprise me.

Show me where anything in my post above is a change in my positions of the past.
    Or, maybe you can post again how Hevi-shot penetrates better than steel. You should change your avatar. This one seems to apply:
    upload_2017-9-8_12-56-19.jpeg

3. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

You're right again ! I am here to point out the Obvious .......easy or the next one might be YOU ?
    And that's after EMI......why shouldn't it be , we are ALL friends ,right ?

4. MurderMostFowl

MurderMostFowl Refuge Member

Well, I rarely post in there, but thought I might be able to give some info on the HEVI-X.

I was excited to hear about it because the best shells I ever shot were the KENT Tungsten Matrix 3" #3's at 1525 fps. I bought 3 cases before tungsten went through the roof.
    EMI's info was that this HEVI-X was formed as a polymer/tungsten mixture pressed to a certain PSI. GREAT! duplicate tungsten matrix, maybe at a lower density, but cheaper than current KENT prices.
    I shoot steel, Hevi-Shot (bought cases of the Remington Hevishot when EMI left Remington and it was on clearance), Hevi-Metal, and I have a couple boxes of Tungsten Matrix for "special occasions". I try to match the cost/performance to what I'm doing.

Well, I bought a case of HEVI-X 3" #2's. 1 1/4 oz. at 1450 fps.

I haven't shot it, but I had to see it, so I cut one open to compare it to Hevi-Metal, and the original Hevi-shot.

P9120344.JPG
    Soooooo?
    The Hevi-Metal had 103 Steel pellets and 60 Hevi shot pellets, and some seeds for buffer.
    HEVIMetal.JPG P9120348.JPG
    The 60 heavy-shot were smaller in diameter, but were the usual, odd-shaped abortions of pellets characteristic of Hevi-shot.

The HEVI-X?
    HEVI_X1.JPG P9120354.JPG
    121 pellets of "#2" sized pellets in 1 1/4 oz.
    After careful inspection, this HEVI-X is the same, odd-shaped abortions of pellets, formed the exact same way normal Hevi-shot is formed, but with a lower density.

For fun, I grabbed the Hevi-shot #2's I had on hand.

5. MurderMostFowl

The Hevi-shot #2's
    HEVISHOT.JPG HEVISHOTWT.JPG
    93 Pellets of "#2" sized, abnormally shaped, non-round pellets in 1 1/4 oz.

So, I know that the pellets being weird sizes the pellet counts would be wrong, but using the known published density of HeviShot (12.0 gr/cc), and using the pellet counts of HeviShot vs. HEVI-X, the density of HEVI-X looks to be about 9.1 gr/cc.

They are the same, odd-shaped pellets as the old Hevishot.
    They seem to be made by the same process.
    They also seem to be roughly the same hardness. I don't have a meter to measure hardness, but squeezing the pellets with a pair of ViseGrips as hard as possible, I couldn't make a dent in the HEVI-X, same as the HeviShot.

6. MurderMostFowl

Maybe I got a case of HEVI-X that was mistakenly loaded with Hevi-Shot?
    Maybe they are behind on their production process and replaced the "new" HEVI-X with HeviShot in my shells to be able to ship product?
    If so, I'd like to have the option of having my case replaced with "real" HEVI-X.

Or maybe the "new" HEVI-X is just a lighter mixture of HeviShot, produced the same way, the same as ever, but with some great marketing?

P.S. The choke tube or blind bag "rebate" requires you to cut the UPC code off of EVERY BOX in the case, not just the case UPC as before. Not worth destroying the box, IMO.

7. orion 1

orion 1 Senior Refuge Member

Looks like the original Hevi-Steel, not the ITX 10 version that some of us were lead to believe.

8. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

From my understanding, comparing Hevi-X to Kent Tungsten Matrix is like comparing steel to lead. Hevi-X is supposed to be like the OLD Hevi-Steel, somewhere between steel and lead. NOT supposed to be like Hevi-13, or Kent TM, which were all heavier than lead.

Billy Bob likes this.
  9. MurderMostFowl

I'm not so bummed about the density, but the manufacturing.
    I thought "tungsten powder and polymer compressed to a certain PSI" would result in round, uniform pellets, which would have been a step forward in my opinion.
    Instead it's the same old slag Hevishot at a lower density.

10. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

:l :l :z :z Here we go again. Get your popcorn boys.