Hevi shot X

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Akstacy3, Jul 13, 2017.

1. possumfoot

possumfoot Elite Refuge Member

so they have brough back hevi steel renamed hevi x, reduced pay load and raised the price by 10 a box. i know its only 1/8 oz, but it may be a deal killer for me. 1 1/2 load would be boarder line but acceptable. 1 3/8 is a no go.

2. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

And here is the problem with advertising....

Hevi-X
    A tungsten based waterfowl load. Compared to steel shotshells, HEVI-X™ is “Deadlier at Distance”, giving you 35% more knockdown power at 40 yards and 50% more knock down power at 60 yards. HEVI-X™ gives you higher pellet count on target, higher down range velocity, and more consistent patterns than steel.

Except for our resident Captain Raven, not many out there able to hit birds at 60 yards. But, hey, the box says I can do it, so why not give it a try?

And what the heck is 'knockdown power'? How is that measured?

3. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

At a densinity of 9.1-9.6 (depending on the source of info) vs. steel at 7.8 I find it very hard to believe it has 35% more "knockdown power" at 40 yards, 20% maybe but more likely a lot less than that. I'm not saying it isn't and improvement over steel but I think the effectiveness is being greatly exaggerated with enviros typical advertising. I would still like to try a few boxes to see if the in field performance is anywhere close to the claims.

4. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

Yea, I am in no way saying it isn't better than steel, ballistically. Just pointing out how advertising puts unreasonable expectations in the minds of gullible hunters.
    "Hey, this ad says I can now kill birds at 60 yards, so I think I will buy some." It should have a disclaimer at the bottom....
    *If you can put the pattern on the birds that far out, you idiot*

2nd Disclaimer....
    **Except for Captain Obvious Raven**

Billy Bob likes this.
  5. gadwall52

gadwall52 Elite Refuge Member

Ft/lbs of energy

6. Dave in AZ

Dave in AZ Senior Refuge Member

LOL ft-lbs of energy.
    It's 100% bogus, it was INTENDED to be un-checkable and thus unrefutable. There is no such thing defined as "knock down power", so you can claim it's anything you want. The advertising guys are HOPING you'll assume it's ft-lbs or something valid... but it's not.

When I was dating, I introduced myself that way! "I'm Dave, I have 180% more knock-down power, 200% more enlightened staying-power, 1000% more intellectual suavity impact, 75% better looking according to Studies, and wholly 469% more sexually fulfilling than similar classed competitors!"

They'd all say, "OH MY GOSH! You're the Hevi-Shot Dave I've heard about! Where's your hoodie?"

goosenazi likes this.
  7. Native NV Ducker

Yea, umm, that means nothing if it doesn't hit a vital. See: All the claims of guys hitting birds with steel at '20 yards' and saw all the feathers fly, but no bird fell.
    I really want to see the patterns, at 20 yards, then 60 yards, same choke. Then I want to see the buyer of said box of shells hit 1 in 4 clays at 60 yards. He doesn't have to use the Hevi-X shells, he can use the lead shell of his choice.

I have no problem that Hevi-X is better than steel. It no doubt is. My problem is, advocating longer shots, simply because the pellet can penetrate further into a block of gel sitting on a post at 60 yards.

Disclaimer:
    When we have our fun shoots, after the Buddy Shoot, Annie, and Do-Da, a few of the guys will enter the 5 by 40, which is 5 shots at the 40 yard line. These are guys that can go 23/24 at the 27 yard line, and usually a 3 will win it, sometimes a 2. And that is the easiest shot in the bag, a 'known speed' bird going almost directly away, with lead pellets, and full chokes.
    So, yea, I have a problem marketing the average Joe shooter toward a shell because it can penetrate at 60 yards.

8. NWRINGNECK

NWRINGNECK Elite Refuge Member

I've been watching this and a while back was going to bring up the 5 from 40 contest but didn't because it was 25 years ago I watched that.....even tried it some. Anyway at our club you could shoot any 12 ga 2 3/4 inch ammo in the 5/40. Seldom was there a straight 5. More like Native says......2 or 3. Just saying. :)

9. CA Birdman

CA Birdman Elite Refuge Member

Maarkets the wrong thing, the goal should be as Jimbo says convince them with the call to give up. Shooting them at 60 yards basically means you didn't accomplish that.

10. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

Why work a bit for it when you can SkyBust them, good advertising pitch. :confused: