Hevi X, patterns/ Chokes

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Gooseman871, Nov 10, 2018.

1. Gooseman871

Gooseman871 Refuge Member

Hevi X Guys- what chokes does this stuff seem to respond to better? More open or tighter? Been reading allot of good reviews on it . Thanks

2. Seahawk18

Seahawk18 Senior Refuge Member

My son and both shoot Hevi-X out of our Franchi twenties with Carlsons LMs. The 2s flat out crush the geese and the 4s are killer on ducks. Don't shoot them all the time due to the cost.

Gooseman871 likes this.
  3. Andrew Caldieraro

Andrew Caldieraro Refuge Member

The tighter chokes in my gun (SX3) seem to work a little better. I have a trulock midrange (improved cylinder), briley LM, trulock long-range (modified) and a briley IM. At 25 yards, the IC isn't that much more open than the tighter chokes, and being an improved cylinder, it seems fairly tight at 25 yards. At 40 yards, the tighter chokes do have a better pattern though. If I had to do it again, I would get an improved cylinder (or possibly one more open) and the IM.

Gooseman871 likes this.
  4. Andrew Caldieraro

Also, I have read that hevi-x is several hundred feet slower per second than what's listed on the box. I have no way to confirm this myself, though.

5. Andrew Caldieraro

These were all with my Winchester SX3. I was lining the top of my sight bead with the bottom of the circles on the paper (Winchester's manual says these are supposed to shoot a little high if I remember correctly). All shots were with a gun rest.

briley IM.jpg Briley IM, 45 yards, hevi-x 2's 3.5"
    briley LM.jpg Briley LM, 40 yards, hevi-x 4's 3.5"
    fac mod.jpg Factory MOD, 40 yards, hevi-x 2's 3.5"
    trulock IC.jpg Trulock Midrange (IC), 40 yards, hevi-x 4's 3.5"
    trulock mod.jpg Trulock Longrange (MOD), 40 yards, hevi-x 4's 3.5"

6. Andrew Caldieraro

On a side note, other guns will vary, of course. The SX3 has acceptable patterns IMO. It's not quite as good as my older browning gold. On a flip note, my SBE3 threw what I'm going to call poor patterns, and not just with hevi-x's. It wasn't good with anything I tried, and I tried a lot (hevi x, hevi-shot, hevi metal, blindside, speed shok, xperts, remington's, browning, fasteel, and silversteel). It did pattern 7.5 shot good though. The heavier the shot, the worse it got.

Gooseman871 likes this.
  7. Gooseman871

Gooseman871 Refuge Member

Thank you Andrew!! Those are all killing patterns! I’m going to try the 3” Hevi X 4s through a Jebs 690 in my SX3 and in my Benelli - once u find the right choke for Hevi X, I believe u have a serious duck killer out to 50-55 yrds

8. Andrew Caldieraro

Let us know how the Jebs choke does.

Gooseman871 likes this.
  9. CA Birdman

CA Birdman Elite Refuge Member

Shot some Hevi X 6 shot today on ducks with Briley LM. Yes steel 3s probably same result in duck down but the Hevi X 6s crushed the ducks and then 2 wild pheasants, one only got to 2 not 3 after close flush, let's say pattern density at 15 yards was still pretty tight.

10. Andrew Caldieraro

How far would hevi x 6’s be effective to with ducks?