Hey guys! Here's some pictures of the Ol W. W. Greener!

Discussion in 'Upland Game Forum' started by Greybeard, Sep 4, 2012.

1. Greybeard

Greybeard Elite Refuge Member

Hope these post up! We've had some difficulty doing this!

Attached Files:

2. 2 tollers

2 tollers Senior Refuge Member

Now that is absolutely one cool piece of old school gear. It does not look like it has seen any recent use. Any reason why?

3. theswampthing

theswampthing Elite Refuge Member

Nice gun, Dan! When was the last time it was shot?

4. Greybeard

My Dad hunted with Great Grandad but he never mentioned anything about the gun or how old he was at the time.
    I do know for a fact that it has not been shot in the last 3/4 of a Century as I'll be 75 the 14th of Nov. I really wouldn't risk shooting it as they are Damascus Twist and probably couldn't take even a light load of smokeless powder.
    I'll have Deb post a pic of my Single 16 and one of my Double 20 when she gets time.
    I love old guns and Fly Rods:tu

Hmmmmm....looks like she took a picture of the right side twice. I wanted a picture of the left side also as it shows the "Brake Lever" (how you open the gun).

5. old_sxs

old_sxs Moderator Tennessee Forum Moderator

Dan, I'm glad you posted the pictures. You've told me all about the gun years ago, but this is my first look at it.

You're aware that "Guido" (Mr. Arthur Wheatley) hunted Beaver Dam with a 12 ga. hammer W.W. Greener that the engraving pattern looks just like yours. A friend of mine now owns it, and I've held his gun to my shoulder and have pictures of it somewhere ---I'll send them to you if I can find them.

If your gun could tell its story --- Don't you wish ?????

6. Greybeard

....was he told about hunting "Birds" with Grandad once and they had 8 or 10 Barred Rock Chickens jump up in the woods and Grandad promptly hammered 3 of them!
    My Dad said "I hollered and told him what they were and he said "Yeh, I know! Them belongs to Ol' Sherm Wilson....an' that S.O.B. has owed me $3 Dollars for over a year so I'm collectin', ya might say!!"
    Great-Grandad was feedin' 10 kids at the time.

7. old_sxs

old_sxs Moderator Tennessee Forum Moderator

I couldn't have dreamed up a better story --- :l :l :l
    Your grandad was my kind of guy --- Good eatin' too !!!!

8. Greybeard

as a Bird hunter....especially Quail and he kept an English Setter that was the continual County Champion for quite a few years running.
    Dad told me that Grandad kept the County Politicians well supplied with Quail and they, in turn, kept him well supplied with ammo and Whiskey and Bull Durham (cloth sack terbaccy and papers).
    He could play the living dickens outta his Harmonica and loved to get his 5 Daughters together for "a little singin'" as he called it. There was 44 of us when we could all get together. Now I have only one Uncle left and 14 Cousins.
    Those were some of the greatest days of my life.

9. RedEyed Duck

RedEyed Duck Elite Refuge Member

Thanks for posting up that ole gun Dan! More importantly thanks for the history behind it and the folks that hunted with her. Ole SxS brought a mighty fine old gun on a hunt we shared a few years ago, sure is nice to hold a little piece of history from time to time. Most definitely a great deal more "special" than all the fancy guns of today's age.

Thanks again,
    RED

10. dakndug

dakndug Moderator Moderator

Dan and SxS, great stories and thanks for sharing. Love hearing bout the ole guns and gentlemen! Knowing the provenance of any historical or collectable piece makes it all the better. Thanks for a little window into your worlds.

Doug