Hi Squaller...

Discussion in 'Upland Game Forum' started by Greybeard, Jun 5, 2010.

1. Greybeard

Greybeard Elite Refuge Member

I'm Greybeards daughter and I'm trying to attach a picture of his Old S x S and
    the hand carved and hand painted Blue Winged Teal that his oldest boy Brian made for him.
    Hope this comes through okay.
    Deb Earleywine

Attached Files:

2. Lame-Duck

Lame-Duck Elite Refuge Member

Hi Deb......I'm Squaller's (Marc) dad. Your picture came thru great, and both the teal decoy painted by Brian, and the Old SxS are really nice. I'd love to see that old SxS.....it's really cool looking. :tu Do you know if it still shoots?

3. Greybeard

barrels that are paper thin out at the muzzles. I also detected a very faint area on the left barrel that looks to be either a crack or a delamination in the twist.

It has very fine, delicate scroll engraving on the receiver, hammers, trigger guard, cross bolt and forestock lock pin and every screw head on the gun.
    Faintly visible on top of the rib is W.W.Greener St Marys Works Birmingham.
    The Greener name is also engraved on the side plates of the receiver. It closes up tight as a drum but has some wobble in it when opened. I don't know whether it's the cross bolt in the receiver or the chopper lump on the bottom of the barrels. The serial # is 12841 and is stamped on all parts of the gun....even on the underside of the steel butt plate.

Some folks I've become acquainted with on the Net looked up the manufacturing date for me....1868.

I wish I could get it to talk to me....where it's been and with whom it's hunted . It was passed down thru my Dad's family (Great Grandad Amos) who had two very fine pointers or so they say. Dad kinda chuckled and said he most likely won the gun in a poker game at Terre Haute, Indiana from one of Al Capones thugs. Capone had quite a bootleg business at that town and Palestine, Il.(my hometown) is just 40 miles downstream on the Wabash River.

I'm going to have Deb post some of the paintings we've done.

4. old_sxs

old_sxs Moderator Tennessee Forum Moderator

Dan, my old friend, you know how much I love the old sxs shotguns. :bow

I've got an old Parker sxs hammer gun with an under-lever that would be good company with your Greener --- Those old barrels may still handle handle hand loads with black powder substitutes provided there's no pitting.

Gene Hill sure loved his Greener with hammers on west Tennessee quail !!!

5. Lame-Duck

Dan.....What a facinating old gun. It truly would be nice if that ol' Geener could talk. I'd be interested just for fun, to know if Capones thugs had previous ownershp of that gun. Thanks for sharing that information.

6. Greybeard

....."with bores as bright as the finest Tiffany Silver" the old Greener ain't got!
    I haven't tried to brass brush them yet but I don't think it would handle even the lightest loads of Black Powder.
    You also have a Betts S x S, don't you on the wall above the mantle in your Library?

LD: I've sourced everyone I could about the old gun and the Capone era in Terre Haute but all the old folks from that time period probably never admitted to knowing of any dealings with Capone or any of his gang. My dad did tell me that he and my Grandad would go to Terre Haute every once in a while in Grandads old Model T pickup truck and "take a load of something" down to Vincennes, Ind.
    at night. He said it took a lot of hours as the distance was about 70 miles, the road wasn't very good and the headlights were not much brighter than candles and that old truck would only top out at about 20 to 25 mph.
    I have ridden in my Uncle Scotts Model T from Robinson, Ill. all the way to Springfield (150 miles) when I was a kid and I'll never forget the PUCKETY, PUCKETY sound of the old 4 cyl. engine.

SHEEEEESH!....I digress!.:doh...now what was it we started talking about...:D

7. old_sxs

old_sxs Moderator Tennessee Forum Moderator

Dan the old hammer 10ga. 2 7/8" Parker hangs above the fireplace and was built in 1879/80. It was bought new by my great grandfather for $60 --- My waterfowl gun is the Walter Betts hammerless boxlock 3" 12 ga. nitro proofed for 1 1/2 oz loads, built in 1912. My upland gun is a hammerless William Powell & Sons sidelock 16 ga. sxs at 6lbs. 1 oz. built in the 30's.

I had no idea your families past included dealing in the transportation of fine oak barrels !!! :grvn:D

8. Lame-Duck

old sxs......Both your hunting fowling pieces are truly wonderful old guns. I'll bet they bring a lot of enjoyment in the field. I'd love to have that ol' Parker 10 ga. hanging over my fireplace. What a cool gun!!

9. Greybeard

.....Dad never did say but I highly doubt that stuff ever got anywhere near the lining of an Oak Barrel. Probably more like a 1 hour batch of bathtub Gin.:eek:

Pappy sho'nuf did like his "Whiskey Drink" (as he called it). I have a Jim Beam collectors bottle....(his).....the one with the Indian Trapper, as painted by Frederick Remington, on it. There were three produced in that series hailing Remingtons paintings. This particular one is curing a "recipe" that came to me by way of Tennessee......and it sho'nuff hain't no Jim Beam! :no

10. SMF

SMF Senior Refuge Member

Danny - Tuesday was a good year !