Hi Squaller...

Discussion in 'Upland Game Forum' started by Greybeard, Jun 5, 2010.

1. old_sxs

old_sxs Moderator Tennessee Forum Moderator

Thanks, I love 'em

It all started when I was told I was too little for a double barrel when I was 10. I made up my mind that would change !!! :l

The Parker 10 ga is in excellent shooting condition (for its age with proper ammo) No cracks, pits or dings --- Good bores.

The Betts and Powell guns can shoot modern ammo pressures without a problem. No steel, however --- I use Kent Tungsten Matrix for waterfowl and lead for upland.

2. old_sxs

:yes :yes :yes :yes

3. Greybeard

Greybeard Elite Refuge Member

....but I'd imagine they were plain ol' 1 gallon glass jugs.
    When I was a kid we had "access" to the procurement of draft beer in those glass jugs by means of bending the truth (slightly) as one of the elders would send us, on occasion, to the local taverns to get their beer jug restocked.
    As long as we didn't get hammered, loud, or onery we were drinkin' beer at age 13 or so.:z
    Took the preachers boy with us runnin' Coon Hounds one night in Oct. I most always had a 1/2 Pint tucked down in my Engineers Boots and it turned out that he had never had a taste of Whiskey. Needless to say we got him a good case of the red eye and dry pukes and he never went with us again. We were 14 as I recall and, for the bunch of kids in the small town, we were a "little bit advanced" for our age.:amen

4. old_sxs

Yep, More than likely 1 gallon glass jugs --- ;)

In the south they had containers for 'nectar' :dv that they called JimmyJohns. This was the mispronunciation of the word Demijohns. The JimmyJohns (as they called them) were glass or crock jugs with the 1 gallon size being the most common. Many of them were covered with a wicker encasement to protect them from breakage during transportation. This is the same as with wine in Europe.

There were many of these jugs that were up to 10 to 15 gallons in size and also covered in wicker. These were the ones that were used to go from the still to the bootlegger's distribution points where they were put in smaller containers. They transported the JimmyJohns balanced and roped across the back of a mule as to avoid the highways, or by boat if near a river or stream.

Here is a picture of a a few old demijohns in different sizes ---

[​IMG]

SORRY ---- I promise to get back on subject !!!!

5. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

Dan,

Thank you for posting that!

Very cool picture.:tu

And who says that you could not shoot that gun??? Send it to me, and I will do my best to get a limit of dove or quail (depending on how heavy it is).:D

6. Greybeard

Indian Grandfather would say. It tips in at 9 lb., give or take, and seems (to me anyway) somewhat Muzzle-heavy. Not really something I'd want to cradle-carry all day in the field, even in my youth!
    If I figure I'm gonna be out for a long spell I usually revert back to the old Single shot 16 or the little S x S 20. I had a Hernia operation about 30 years ago and the Doctor told me not to lift anything heavy. As a result, I have to ask one of the girls in our office to go to the mens room with me when I have to take a leak.:z:no

7. cancan

cancan Elite Refuge Member

They do make barrel sleeves for them old guns like that, Ive got an old Snider sxs made in baltimore late 1800's and have been contemplating making it shootable again.

8. Lame-Duck

Lame-Duck Elite Refuge Member

Well I'll be darned, Dan......You and I seem to have the same problem. I just don't understand why, in my case, she claims to need a magfifying glass too. :confused:

9. Greybeard

....."Micro Soft".....and she doesn't know anything about Computer stuff!
    I wonder what she means?

10. Lame-Duck

Lame-Duck Elite Refuge Member

Dan....I'm not goin' to touch that one. :no :l