High geese.

Discussion in 'Goose Hunting Forum' started by marsh fox, Apr 25, 2007.

1. marsh fox

marsh fox Banned

High geese and long range hunting of game animals allways get a good airing so here goes.

I like shooting high geese i mostly shoot the tides and low geese are rare on my regular grounds.
    decoying other than a few on the flood behind us is about as good as it gets, and its rare i do this.
    Calling skeins of geese i have never accieved this, odd birds and littl partys yes but whole flighting skeins a no go for me.
    i have had some good results with high shooting over the years, i have wounded a few and lost others on the sea that glide off out of range of the dog.
    I am not proud of my failures, i try my best to judge the lead and put the best developed reloads i can muster and put the shot on the goose.
    I dont ever take a shot i think is out off my capability as a marksman and the load i am shooting.
    I genuine love this type of shooting its awe inspiring to me, i never tire of doing this and i have done it most of my life i get some hassle at times from others on the marsh it is generaly those who cant or have not shot a goose on that flight, its got quite personal at times some go way to far in thair condemnation of my and indeed others actions who like and do the same as me shoot high geese.
    Whacking a goose at hight and watching it tumble and bang down with a loud bump ages latter on the frozen merse just is the thrill of my life, i live for it.:tu :D
    My sucsess rate on high geese is roughly two thirds thats better than my sporting clays score. so i must be doing some thing right mabe i try harder on geese i realy dont know.
    Like i said before i have had bad press on this sport i feel most os feueld by jelliousy ond others greed rather than my alleged greed and imoral attitude i have had leveled at me before.
    Any body else share my liking for the tall ones and feel the same as me and had similar experiences to us here.
    Its ok i have the chin strap tight on my tin hat. :l

2. G.B. Jack

G.B. Jack Elite Refuge Member

I simply don't have any ambition to do that type of shooting.:p

3. DUKFVR

DUKFVR Elite Refuge Member

In the TX Marsh Killing Geese & Ducks & Catching S
    I love to see those old snows roll up dead about 60 yrds out with the hevishot.

4. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

I dont take many tall shots.
    I still miss my share of geese under 20 yards.
    To me the thrill generally isnt the shot or the kill, but working the flock in; and trying to set them up just in front 10 yards out

5. bbfky

bbfky Elite Refuge Member

salthunter I agree, I have let a lot of flocks land and never fired a shot.

That being said there are times when I am hunting with others and I am shooting clean up that I have had to whack some wounded geese at long range. I like my 10 guage with BBs for those types of shots.

I gave up pass shooting a long time ago but if you can do it right then enjoy it.

6. steelhammer

steelhammer Senior Refuge Member

I don't know who's getting those geese HIGH,but they should be reported!;)

7. Band Man

Band Man Elite Refuge Member

Its un ethical to even shoot at a goose over 40 yards in my opinion !! Everyone wants to talk about cripples ! think about all of those birds you cripple shooting shots that far ! end of story if you cant get em close dont shoot at em

8. tripleb

tripleb Elite Refuge Member

When I first started shooting groundhogs, with a 30/06 loaded with 125 grain HP's using a 4 power scope, a 200 yard shot was a long shot. When I got a .22-250 with a 12 power scope, a 200 yard shot was a piece of cake, the 300 yards shots were difficult. Now, with a heavy barreled .22-250 and a 6.5X20 Leupold EFR, a 400 yard shot, after being laser ranged, is not particularly difficult.

As one's equipment improves, as one's shooting ability improves with practice, the longer shots don't seem so difficult. It is the same with pass shooting. If you don't often take 40 yard shots, a 40 yard shot will be difficult. A 40 yard shot, laying or sitting on your butt in a layout blind is more difficult than a 40 yard shot taken when you are standing on firm ground and can mount and move your gun properly.

I started out goose hunting by pass shooting. On occasion I will still do it, even though I prefer to call and decoy them in. Sometimes, it's just not feasible to use a call and decoys if the only place you can hunt is somewhere they don't want to land, but will pass over in getting to where they want to feed.

Pass shooting places an emphasis on developing shooting skills. Many American goose hunters have been lead to develop a belief that calling and decoying are a higher form of goose hunting than pass shooting them. Such is not the case, it's just a different form of hunting, which requires a different set of skills. And, in defense of the pass shooters, if you are where the geese want to land to feed, what challenge is it to fool a group of birds, none of which possess a brain bigger than a shelled peanut? lol

9. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

I think pass shooting is the worst form of legal waterfowl hunting. IMO it's right down there baiting. They both equal a lack of respect to the game you hunt.

10. Inyoface

Inyoface Elite Refuge Member

Pass shooting is ignorant period. and u guys are right working the flock is the key, i cant believe how some guys just blaze away at 40-60 yds. if the birds arent at 1-30yds. they didnt get fooled therefore they shouldnt die.