High geese.

Discussion in 'Goose Hunting Forum' started by marsh fox, Apr 25, 2007.

1. marsh fox

marsh fox Banned

Some of these guys on here whouldnt have a clue where to lead a high goose with that gun bluedot let alone hit one with it, its just not in thair resumae.:h

2. loma goose man 1

loma goose man 1 Senior Refuge Member

holy craaap
    I tried but your pompas arsss just wont let it lay.:fp that looks like a gun you tried to defend yourself against the germans in ww11. wy would you need such a blunderbus?:sp
    .and once again you pointed out real goose hunting is not in your bag of tricks:l
    no tuck tail and run for any body over here:fp

3. dghunter

dghunter Senior Refuge Member

Wholly shiz!!! An old market gunner weapon. 5 oz of shot wasn't I don't think meant for one bird and was meant to flock shoot at about 50 yards. A guy would go broke shooting a pound of powder and a half a bag of shot on an outing wouldn't he?? Um......Aaaaa.... that is a single shot right? One blast and you should have your limit, right???? No follow up shots or skill involved right????

Do you guys still use punt guns mounted on the front of boats as well???

Damn a thread or five ago, there are guys that think using a 10 bore is packing way too much heat for geese and lessening the challenge and going for .410 shooting. But........ I guess if you want to go for hail Mary's and your 10 bore doesn't pattern well at 70 or 80 yards, flock shooting with an old blunderbuss should be able to scratch something down I guess as well as putting a hell of a hurt on a fair share of birds in the flock and wounding a ton of birds in the process you call pass shooting.

4. Mr. Mann

Mr. Mann Elite Refuge Member

I saw that picture and read the article a while back. Pretty cool if you ask me.

5. marsh fox

marsh fox Banned

The big guns were not all market gunners tools , my old Army and navy 4 was choked 46 points and threw a good pattern of duplex AAA and SG lead shot. they are for high geese, on windswept and wild foreshores, not tit poping in the margins.
    I wanted no bad feeling in this debatye, and in fact i have no bad feeling. to anyone. Loma G and co you are welcome here, anytime. its just a different way of going on that is throwing you.
    I couldnt help but notice that its the eastern boys that make more sense:l :l , the western boys just get a bit wild right;) .
    I think you wild westerners need to take a deep breath and realise that there is more than one way to skin a cat or shoot a goose, we should be talking about it not decrying one another, we are here with lots to show you, a different way to hunt geese humanely.
    Like i said before its your gun load combo that makes the difference on high geese, start developing your skills and loads and you will once you learn the technique start to realise its a lot of fun and not what you discribe at all.:tu

6. hunter

hunter Elite Refuge Member

I dont shoot high geese....I prefer to use my western math skills to realize that 1 flock in the decoys results in many more clean kills then 4 flocks flying by at 60....:rolleyes:

7. tripleb

tripleb Elite Refuge Member

You have to understand that there are many places that decoying geese simply is not possible or practical. Close to urban areas, where many of the fields are surrounded by housing developments, it can be very difficult to get permission anywhere the geese are likely to feed. The geese clean out the little fields very quickly and move on to others. If migrators don't come through during the season, as is often the case where I hunt, you hunt educated local birds, who know where they have already cleaned out a field. That often leads to having to pass shoot them in those small areas you can get permission from a land owner, or not hunt geese at all.

There's the way it ought to be .....and there's the way it is ..... Like it or not, you deal with it as it is.

8. hunter

hunter Elite Refuge Member

So your forced to pass shoot because you cant get them in....Tell me about your setup then...decoys used, calls, blinds????

9. baker aka goosenut

baker aka goosenut Elite Refuge Member

Trible B You Can Put Toghter All That Info On Loads And Ballistics But Can't Out Smart A Few Local Canadas Whats Up With That.

10. Jono

Jono Refuge Member

There are different customs for different country's, in the UK the shooting on land is usually controlled by the landowner not by the state, not sure if this is the case in the US, with rents being anything from a bottle of scotch per season to $10 per acre per season as they are around me, in the UK we can shoot 24hrs a day i.e under the moon as well, we do not have bag limits apart from those the sportsman sets upon themselves these have been discussed at length and so far have not been bought in, for fear that the limit becomes a target.

I live in an area which has over half the world population of Pinkfooted geese wintering there and yes on certain flights I could sit and shoot 30 geese if I wished, however personally I choose to shoot no more than 4 per flight, however it the guy further along the marsh chose to shoot 30 he could legally but morally he probably wouldn't. I now flight/passshoot the majority of my geese even though I have unrestricted access to around 7500 acres of inland decoying, I dont shoot at geese over 50 yards when pass shooting, to me there is nothing like watching the geese leave the roost getting between them and where they are feeding shooting a couple and watching the rest of the flight. But I dont say that others should not decoy it just a personal choice

Sometimes I even take the big gun, a 120 year old 4 bore shooting 3 1/8oz of BB Bismuth, with fuel at around $9 a gallon :z the price of the shells does not become such an issue.

Jono