High geese.

Discussion in 'Goose Hunting Forum' started by marsh fox, Apr 25, 2007.

1. jeffD4L

jeffD4L Senior Refuge Member

I am sick of this garbage, Has Jim Zumbo tought us nothing?:fp

2. tripleb

tripleb Elite Refuge Member

Here's a description of two places I have pass shot geese.

(1) auto salvage yard laying between a set of rail road tracks and a prison. The auto salvage yard property we can hunt is 51 yards wide X 1 mile long and lays in a heavily brushed depression, with trees along either side. Geese fly into and out of the prison over the salvage yard and you must drop the geese within the 50 yard space as you cannot recover the birds from the prison or off the rail road tracks (without being arrested for trespassing, if caught).

(2) approximately 2 acres of open metal salvage yard, with scrap metal and semi trucks distributed across it, and sited along a river. Birds roost on river about 1 1/2 miles away within the city limits and often fly over the scrap yard coming into or going out of roost. Most of surrounding land is developed and permission to hunt that which is not, is unavailable.

Now tell me how you would set up your decoys and blinds to deal with either of those scenarios. ;)

Only a fool would try to put decoys and blinds on either property ...... the birds simply will not land on either. I have turned birds with calls, however, and had them change direction on their flights over both areas and come over me, so calling can be helpful at times.

3. baker aka goosenut

baker aka goosenut Elite Refuge Member

I Would Say That Is Pretty Despreate Measures To Kill A Goose And You Live In What State. Kinda Sounds Fun But Sounds Like The Birds Lose In The End.

4. marsh fox

marsh fox Banned

I know this much ten yard boys,,.:fp i can decoy&Call better than you can pass shoot this i do know and i dont miss or wound as many birds either you are clueless its obvious from your posts. :mad:
    Answer me this how can a goose be to far away when its on the floor.
    And if you think you are good at decoying geese come and try it over here on pinks you wont be so clever then.

5. tripleb

Hard times call for desperate measures.:l

The times these two places I described get hunted is late in the season when most of the water is frozen, the fields are covered with snow and the birds congregate in the roosts nearby.

There's the way things ought to be and there's the way things are. Many places in Ohio have very good goose hunting, where they can be decoyed and called. But, as I mentioned before, near urban areas, particularly in the later part of the season, you take what you can get. In some conditions and places, that is pass shooting.

I doubt, however, that the birds have any personal preference on which method is used to kill them, so long at it is quick.

Actually, the measures are not desperate, they are just more along the lines of what has been traditionally used in the UK, and here before the advent of relatively cheap plastic decoys. When I started goose hunting in the mid '80's. Few people were calling and decoying them. They were pass shooting. There just had not been enough geese around before to justify the expense. Then, there came the explosion of goose populations, when decoying became popular. Before that, most people in my area pass shot them. Now that the area is becoming heavily built up with homes, I expect pass shooting will become a bit more popular than it has been in the recent past.

6. loma goose man 1

loma goose man 1 Senior Refuge Member

MARSH FOX
    . BRING YOUR ******. IF YOU CAN OUT CALL ME OR BAKER I WILL GIVE UP GOOSE HUNTING:tu WERE DO YOU SHOOT GEESE ON A FLOOR AT? :l AS FAR AS THOSE DOMESTIC LOOKING GEESE YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT IF THEY FLY FROM 1 SPOT TO ANOTHER TO EAT THEN WE WOULD SMASH THEIR LIPPS.---------------GARAUNTEED-----------.

PS YOU ARE STILL A HIGH SHOOTER.

7. tripleb

For those who are unfamiliar with the feature, if you look on the Google bar, in the center of the bar you will see, in capital letters, ABC over a green check mark, to the immediate right of that you will see the word "Check".

After you have finished typing, to check the spelling of anything you have typed on a website, left click your mouse on the word "Check". Any questionable words you have typed will appear in red. Left click on the red word and a drop down list will appear from which you can select the optional words and spellings by left clicking on them, or click "ignore", if you know the word or name is spelled correctly. After you have made a change, the words changed will appear green. Left click your mouse on the screen to stop the spell checking. You can then post knowing that most of your spelling, if not your grammar, will be correct.

8. BUCKSHOT#4

BUCKSHOT#4 Elite Refuge Member

LMAO, what in the hell.....

9. baker aka goosenut

baker aka goosenut Elite Refuge Member

SINCE SO MANY NEED SPELL CHECK AND I KNOW I SPELL WORDS WRONG ALOT MYSELF BUT THIS TELLS ME MOST CANT SPELL AND TRY TO COVER IT UP.:fp I DIDNT REALIZE WE WERE IN SCHOOL STILL SOME LEARNED AND SOME DIDNT DAM I GUESS I DIDNT.:z

10. tripleb

I misspell words myself, usually inadvertently, like using "there", for "their", or "they're". The spelling checker doesn't catch that kind of error. But sometimes I know a word I want to use, but just don't know the correct spelling, or I make a typographical error. The spelling checker catches those. Using a spell checker helps me convey the message, without the spelling errors distracting from what I am trying to say. Now, if they just had a grammar checker, I would be all set.:l