High geese.

Discussion in 'Goose Hunting Forum' started by marsh fox, Apr 25, 2007.

1. Joel Draxler

Joel Draxler Elite Refuge Member

This is quite possibly the worst thread ever.

I must at least say I agree with the 10 yard crew. I shoot rifles far more than shotgun, and haven?t figured out the true limits of a shotgun, but I still think anyone claiming to be proficient at killing geese/ducks out to 70 or 100 yds. Is full of sh**. Have you done it? I believe you have accomplished it a time or two but doing it time and time again??I doubt it.:fp

Call ?em in close and shoot ?em in the lips! That is when you know you are a true waterfowl hunter. It?s the art of deception. 40yds or less if your with me, otherwise I'll ask you to find somewhere else to hunt.

2. BUCKSHOT#4

BUCKSHOT#4 Elite Refuge Member

I find it funny as hell on this thread that your considered a "skybuster" IF you can consistently kill birds at a further yardage/range then someone else. What do you folks consider skybusting? Obviously to some on here, if the birds are out to 30+ yards and you shoot your labeled a sky buster. Just plain crazy.
    It boils down to know your weapon, know your load, KNOW YOURSELF AND THE CAPABILITIES OF ALL THE ABOVE I JUST MENTIONED...... My god people, not everyone have the shooting capabilities on the same level. SOME DO and just because you can't, you label the person that does know how to consistently kill at longer ranges a skybuster........

3. Joel Draxler

Joel Draxler Elite Refuge Member

My doubts of peoples abilities stem from my rifle shooting experience, and peoples idiotic claims. I know it is a different game but it isn't that different.

For me it is like this. I shoot at least twice a week with my rifle. I shoot long ranges every trip out. (anywhere from 200-1000 yds.) I shoot on paper so I can see consistency or lack there of. I know what my gun will due almost without thinking and have shot enough different guns and calibers to know the realities of shooting long range. I have killed animals at long range. I will not shoot another animal beyond 600 yds because of its difficulty. And I tell every Joe that asks me, to keep their shots within 300. I can make shots out to 1000, but I have seen from myself and several other professional shooters that anything beyond 600 can be very difficult no matter your shooting level. Wind, elevation gain/loss, mirage, etc. all become HUGE factors.

Every year just before the big game hunts here, I will inevitably be confronted by someone who sees my gun and commences to spew bull sh**. He will tell me about his gun, and how it can shoot 1/4" groups at 500 yds. How he has made shots on running deer/elk/antelope at 800 yards. When the fact of the matter is, he doesn't know his yardages worth a damn. He thinks 300 yds is 500 and can’t group less than 3" at 100 while I am sitting there watching.

From my experience (admittedly primarily with rifles) people think they are way better than they are. We all, especially here on the faceless internet, want to SEEM like big shot hunters, bigger than we actually are. Anyhow back to my point some say they can kill a moving target at somewhat extreme distances, for the weapon (not just my opinion, but factual that 70 yds with a shotgun is a long shot), with great consistency. That for me is hard to believe. Just like some guy telling me that he can make a kill shot on a running animal at 800yds. Possible? Yes. Likely? No. Not even our militaries best will claim to be able to do that with consistancy. Not saying it hasn't happened because I know it has, but to say one is proficient at it....that is a stretch. When you know at least a little about the weapon someone is using, you can make a pretty safe assumption as to the veracity of their claims.

A sky buster, in my book, is someone who takes shots that push the limits of their ability OR the limits of their equipment. That is why I will only shoot beyond 40yds and ask those that hunt with me to do the same. They may be able to shoot beyond that, but I don't want to find out that they can't, the hard way.