High shooters

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by justahunter, Dec 23, 2017.

1. Flyfisher

Flyfisher Elite Refuge Member

Ask my boy Phyto if he was there shooting at 8o yards all morning in 1970.... please. maybe he was, I don't know.

2. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

Yeah... That is not what I see.

I have had the opportunity to hunt on a few clubs, and there are always guys that shoot at high birds, all the time... And they do a considerable amount of hunting.

We all take that occasional long poke that we should not (due to mis-judgement, frustration, or desperation) ... But the better (and more ethical) hunters keep it at a minimum. There are a lot of hunters who shoot at long birds all day... If one comes over low, they shoot at it; if one comes over high, they shoot at it... And then they complain that birds will not work, or that "this club is a pass-shooting club." And God forbid that they kill one of those 80 yard shots, cause it only serves to encourage them to take more and further shots.

Hunting my own club, and my father's club, I know who I will share a pond with gladly, and who I will try to avoid shooting near...

3. Kwack

Kwack Senior Refuge Member

I see this as well.

4. Dek

Dek Elite Refuge Member

I saw it yesterday and literally had to laugh. Huge waves of snows going back to the CZ being shot at with large volleys. The geese were so high they did not even flare. I would guess 150 yards plus, not sure.

5. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

A couple of years ago, I would thought you were exaggerating... Now, I see it all the time. The club next to me has members that shoot at birds so high that often times guests I am with do not believe that those are the birds being shot at.

I could understand a 10 year old kid doing such seeing his first flock of geese ever... But this behavior is repetitive by the same people over and over... And they are full-grown adults that can afford a blind lease at a duck club.

6. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

And your Range Finder needed to be calibrated , not all shooters shot at 80 yds plus , I know Tom didn't !
    You just ranged the Bad shooters of the time , you know , the unsuccessful ones more than likely , Hah ?

7. MattGrima

MattGrima Senior Refuge Member

Saw this at HSacramento yesterday, feeling we Hmay have watched the same Hgroup. 150 yards is no exaggeration. I left on their 3rd Hshell Hrun.

freefall likes this.
  8. Dek

Dek Elite Refuge Member

I had some of these fellows near me recently. I must say they were pretty good hunters and shot fairly well. The frigging amazing thing was that their yellow lab could understand what the he'll they were telling him to do!

9. California Flyway

California Flyway Elite Refuge Member

The only time high shooters really bother me is when they unload on Snow Geese at clearly 100 yard or so when I have a group of nice big ducks working.

10. API

API PAF-CA Flyway Moderator Flyway Manager

Wisdom and understanding is the key to eliminate sky busting. Look to Yoda.
    4859CC6E-01F5-4C97-98E9-023896FE23F4.jpeg

fishdog, Squaller and freefall like this.