High shooters

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by justahunter, Dec 23, 2017.

1. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

You must blow a Lullaby song with your calls to put them asleep before shooting ? Now that is ingenious !

2. Kevin Burroughs

Kevin Burroughs Elite Refuge Member

And then there are people who think they Gods gift to Waterfowling.

Personally I don't give a rip how high or low you shoot. I was once hunting with my boys when they were much younger, in their early teens and they were hunting a blind several hundred yards from me obstructed by a small berm. I watch them bang away and flare birds for a couple of hours. Looked to me that they were taking shots at 60 yards plus. Dad wasn't real happy. I finished my limit and went to go get them in the boat. Well they were sitting there waiting for me with 2 limits of birds and 4 geese. Seems I couldn't see the low birds they were shooting at but I could see the top birds flaring.

On public hunting area's its come down to the lowest common denominator, worst idiot sets the tone and most everyone follows suit. Gaming the system, crowding, drop offs, you name it, all that is never going to change. Saying that, it isn't much better at marginal club water either. I learned long ago that the only thing wrong with waterfowling is the people that do it. I do my damnedest to stay away from people.

3. Wood-Dro

Wood-Dro Elite Refuge Member

Waterfowlers are going to be the reason for the end of waterfowling...:doh

4. fishdog

fishdog Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

Sculling? In my view if your willing to go to all that work you earned all the birds you get. No matter how you shot em.

Brottboss, circlehooker and dwhauss like this.
  5. Ravenanme

Hey , I'm just learning after all these years , the sport is changing so fast from working birds to killing them , when you see'em , it's not funny !
    I can say , when you have lived during the Lead Days , that experience of shooting farther successfully , lives in our souls !

6. Kevin Burroughs

Hunted during the "lead" days. Idiots shot way too high then. 95% of people should never shoot past 35 yards and never ever shoot at 45 yards. I have heard all the BS about this for years, it ain't true. Tell your self yourself you are Annie Oakley's chubby younger brother, but your not.

7. Ravenanme

What's a good waterfowler , he is the one with exclusive access to an inherent spot for birds , fortunate as he my be there's stiff competition in the
    refuges of free-roam ! I agree with your assessment of high shooters but the successful ones , really aren't shooting to high , right ? It's only in the
    ability of the shooters experience to know when , it's to high ! There're loads that are more capable than steel shot and if you understand the ballistics
    of these loads , which seems high to some , are in the wheel-house of the fortunate ! Haha 45 yds , piece of cake !

8. Kevin Burroughs

I have never shot steel. I have shot a ton of Tungsten Matrix for a lot of years. I believe that its is pretty good stuff. You should ask about our long distance clay shoot we had here for one of our fund raisers. Like I said, I have heard all the BS. I have seen all the BS. Tell Annie I said hi.

9. Ravenanme

You know Tungsten Matrix is just getting started in the High Density shot category , there're much better , more effective shot types !
    I shoot Annies every Friday night , I like to switch around to different places for the change in target types so the competition can be fierce .
    These aren't fun raisers , they are money shoots NO second place winners , as all the money goes to the last man standing . If you can't
    hit targets past 65 yds , you had better not signup but those of us that can , welcome anyone willing to add to the pot !
    And as far as what you think is BS , apparently You haven't seen it ALL , you just think you have ! :l:l:yes

wanapasaki likes this.