Hitch in his gait

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by Tuck31, Jul 13, 2017.

1. Tuck31

Tuck31 Elite Refuge Member

I'm going to Vet Saturday but want to throw this out there for comment.

I have a 18 Mo old YLM. Occasionally when he walks or trots he doesn't put his right rear leg all the way down. Sometimes he just hits the ground lightly with right rear foot other times he only puts it half way to ground and doesn't touch foot to ground. Most of the time he walks/runs normally but I notice this occasionally. I've checked his pad and nothing there so I figured it must be a joint higher up.
    Sits fine, gets up fine.
    Any thoughts?

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
  2. ABREOJOS

ABREOJOS Elite Refuge Member

The only thought I have is to set up a vet appointment. I bet he will have a better idea than a bunch of non-professionals that have not even seen the dog.

One of my dogs started limping on a front leg last Friday night. I had him at the vet at 8 am on Monday morning.

3. Drakes Landing

Drakes Landing Refuge Member

Yes, to the vet for sure. I would be careful as it could be a strain or even slight tear of the ACL. Certainly don't want to blow it completely if you can avoid it. Have had two labs previously that tore ACL's so fairly common. They can be repaired but if you can avoid a tear and it is only a strain that would be best of course. Might just take slowing his roll for several weeks...........hard to do with a high powered/young pup but certainly best for him in long run IMO.

Good luck.

4. Tuck31

Tuck31 Elite Refuge Member

That's what I was thinking. Sound at all like hip dysplasia?

5. Drakes Landing

Drakes Landing Refuge Member

No expert for sure here but sure sounds like one of two things based on what you described: 1. Something in paw/webbing of foot or 2. ACL strain/tear. Not a lot of experience with hip issues but did find this:

Common signs of hip dysplasia include:
    • Exercise intolerance.
    • Bunny hopping (especially up stairs)
    • Swaying gait (rear end moves back and forth in pronounced fashion)
    • Stiffness/pain.
    • Difficulty getting up from lying or sitting positions.
    • Sitting in "frog" position (one hip splays out)
    • Reluct

Symptoms of ACL include:

• Lameness in one or both hind legs; may be non-weight-bearing; may come and go; may come on very suddenly.
    • Lameness in one or both hind legs; may be non-weight-bearing; may come and go; may come on very suddenly
    • Limping or reluctance to use one or both hind limbs, which worsens with exercise and improves with rest
    • Weakness
    • Abnormal posture, especially over the back and hip areas
    • Reluctance to rise, run or jump
    • Morning stiffness that takes time to “warm out of”
    • Sitting at an odd angle, with a hind leg slanted off to one side
    • Swelling (effusion) around the stifle joint
    • Atrophy (withering away) of the muscles of the affected limb
    Good luck.

6. fishnfool

fishnfool Elite Refuge Member

Having been down the ACL tear and then a meniscus tear a year later in the same knee (my dog, not me), I unfortunately wouldn't expect a full diagnosis from the vet tomorrow.

An ACL tear is a soft tissue injury so short of an MRI, it's often diagnosed by eliminating other injuries...lots of leg/joint flexing, X-rays to eliminate anything else, and usually a couple different rounds of rest and confinement (2-6+ weeks, which is hard for a young bird dog and its owner). If it doesn't get better, then you start talking ACL.

My dog was favoring his leg much more than you describe and he didn't fully blow his out, so hopefully it's something much more minor. Good luck.

7. Buttesmacker

Buttesmacker Senior Refuge Member

My dog did the same thing few weeks back, after two days it went away. Notice it the next day after she was out on the lake swimming and doing multiple retrieves and running up and down steep hills. Won't put full pressure on right rear paw and skip. I made a vet apt. also but it went away before apt date so I cancel. I think good habits is to let dog stretch, walk for 10-15 min before pushing water retrieves for me in the future. Good luck-hope your dog is good-keep us updated.

8. FieldLabLover

FieldLabLover Elite Refuge Member

Sounds like a typical presentation for an ACL tear. I agree with post #6. A general vet won't know. You would need to go to an orthopedic vet and do an MRI. My partial tear story went FT scratched with slight limp in September . Rested from Fall to Spring. First retrieve, blew it completely

9. Doc E

Doc E Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

IF it's a partial tear of the ACL (CCL) it can probably be repaired and thus avoid a complete teat with Cold Laser.
    Go to the following sites and find a Vet near you who uses Cold Laser.

www,erchonia.com/
    wwwvomtech.com/

10. Larsen's Labs

Larsen's Labs Elite Refuge Member

Not sure what ACL tears have to do with teats - must be a Swedish thing!