Hog snaring advice....????

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunters Forum' started by ALMODUX, Dec 18, 2011.

1. ALMODUX

ALMODUX Elite Refuge Member

I'm heading to my buddy's place in Louisiana the week after Christmas, to take my 11yr old deer hunting and possibly get a shot at a hog or two. However, they're pretty doggone hard to kill while deer hunting, and their panel traps have not been producing. So, I'm going to try some pre-fab snares on the chutes/runs where they're coming out after dark. If anyone has any first hand experience doing this, gimme what you got. Thinking if I can keep my scent off everything, we might nab a few.:)

2. musher

musher Elite Refuge Member

I've snared just about every critter but a hog. Google the snare shop. They may be able to help you out.

3. bad karma

bad karma Senior Refuge Member

Newt Sterling
    Snareone.com

Newt builds and sells hog snares and teaches hog snaring, among other things.

4. WoodieSC

WoodieSC North/South Carolina Flyway Forum Moderator Flyway Manager

Hey, Big Guy... just smear some peanut butter on your belly and sit in the trail with your lasso. :l

Good luck on your hunt! :tu

5. ALMODUX

:lWell, I managed to snare a 90# Boar on my first night with five sets. Even managed to jaw catch him so he was alive in the morning. Not much luck after that due to the high water driving them up into the piney woods and scattering them off their habitual trails. Pretty fun, though. For a fact, you'll catchem if they use it. :yes

6. WoodieSC

WoodieSC North/South Carolina Flyway Forum Moderator Flyway Manager

That's cool! Nice work! :tu

What size loop and what type of snare material did you use? How did you anchor it, etc?

7. ALMODUX

I bought some pre-made, from 1/8" aircraft cable, with a drilled, bent washer as a slider, and a #10 nut for a stop, a 1" long piece of 5/16" plastic tubing for a loop hanger, running about 12-14" loops, about 6" off the ground. Finding FRESH sign seems to be the most important thing, as the catch set was on the freshest sign we had. Also, setting the slider at/hanging the loop from 1:00 or 11:00 and leaving the bottom to swing free to attempt to snare them under the jaw so they wouldn't kill themselves. I used #9 chain link fence tension wire as a hanger when I didn't have a limb or fence wire to suspend the snare from and as a snare extension when I had to run more than a couple of feet to a suitable anchor. I had some small screw trailer anchors in case I needed them, but it's thick enough and near enough fence posts that I never used one. I think #6 tension wire like is run on cattle/horse fencing may work fine, also. I really wanted to catch one on the 'troughs' or cuts they use coming in and out of the creek bottoms, as they made perfect funnels, but the high water kept them from using them while I was there. I did place sticks or logs across in front of, behind or even on the tops of the sets, so the deer would jump over them. If the path was wider than the snare, I'd pile some brush either sid so that the loop was the only opening. I was worried (and why I asked/started the thread) that there was some special 'technique' that was different from basic trapper snaring or survival snaring of other critters, but really there isn't, it seems. If you've run a snare for a rabbit or a beaver, it's the same principle, but bigger. I can build some better than those I bought, probably cheaper, now that I've seen them....I think the main thing would be making them easier to set and a little more versatile for length, etc. :)

8. musher

musher Elite Refuge Member

Any Pictures?

Sounds like it was fun.

9. ALMODUX

My 120# 11 yr old...and 90lbs of varmint...

[​IMG]

10. ALMODUX

Another update: Using Deer 'Cain liquid on the corn pile in the otherwise avoided pen trap caused five more to commit suicide the day after we left....I poured it on the corn pile at lunch when we pulled out, and my buddy shot five in there the next morning. That trap hadn't caught a hog on corn or sweet feed for nearly two years, though they'd eat every morsel I poured out for 100 yards up to the gate, and leave the rest....couldn't resist that stuff, I guess.:nutz