Holland goose hunting

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by MJ, Dec 5, 2017.

1. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

Love to see it with decent cameras.

2. fishnfool

fishnfool Elite Refuge Member

The amount of geese and waterfowl in that country is absolutely staggering. Virtually every field and city block is surrounded by canal networks.

Most fields are loaded with geese, gadwall, eurasian widgeon, and quite a few teal.

Coots, mallards, and swans are in most city canals, and tufted duck and gadwall in any larger ponds or "suburban" canals.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  3. fishnfool

fishnfool Elite Refuge Member

4. The Other David

The Other David Elite Refuge Member

We had a couple of lost graylag geese at our hunting pond in VA about 6-7 years ago. They didn't taste much different than the Canadas.

5. Patodor

Patodor Senior Refuge Member

A missed shot is inefficient, and that's not generally tolerated in northwestern Europe.

6. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

Looks similar to dove hunting, but for geese.

I doubt many of us would pass on the opportunity to try it, but there is no doubt but that working birds into decoys and calling would be more fun (at least for me).

Regardless of how they hunted them, there is no doubt but that can sure as heck shoot them when they come over. I would be curious as to the ranges they were shooting? I would guess somewhere around 40 yards, and those #3's seemed to do the job just fine.

BirdJ likes this.
  7. CA Birdman

CA Birdman Elite Refuge Member

But is it steel or lead or something else for shot type. Would love to try it.

Squaller likes this.
  8. H20DAD

H20DAD Elite Refuge Member

One video it was a box of 4s. It’s bismuth in English so I’m guessing same 4s as we shoot.

It’s interesting the guy misses almost every second shot in the first video and you guys rave about his shooting. Very interesting.

9. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

Yeah... #3 lead would do the job just fine... Forgot they can still shoot it over there (and probably for cheaper than they can steel).

10. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

Love the shooting. Pass shooting/decoying, whatever. The guys have skill and are shooting at distance by the look of the leads they were giving. When you watch some of the gunners in Scotland/England shooting driven grouse, some of them take birds at 50-60 yds consistently. It isn't skybusting if you are killing consistently at distance. With #3 shot, they may be targeting the head/neck areas of the birds for more effective kills.