Home Built Mud motors

Discussion in 'Mud Motors' started by Archeryrob, Nov 22, 2006.

1. Archeryrob

Archeryrob Elite Refuge Member

Who has built them?

If you have did you use direct drive or a centrifical clutch or maybe even a transisional drive?

I was looking to make my own with a twin 20 HP vertical shaft motor I have and was looking for where you got some of your parts. Like the seals and bearings for the shaft.

2. MudGrappler1

MudGrappler1 Senior Refuge Member

I built a 31 hp longtail. Sold it for a short tail.

Look at smallenginewarehouse.com if you need a motor. They have some cheap motors. You can order the seal and stuff from one of the MM manufactures. Or look for a fastenall place.

3. gmag10

gmag10 Senior Refuge Member

My Latest:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Most seals and bearings can be purchased through Fastenal, BDI, Motion Industries or even through Beavertail. I have had good luck with BDI. This motor is direct drive. I used a Gates Polychain GT 2 belt.

Let me know if you have any questions or if your looking for info on building a longtail, PM extra mud.

Mag 10

4. MARSH_HUNTR

MARSH_HUNTR Elite Refuge Member

I got my u-joint from grainger and most other parts are easily found at auto parts places like Napa...you also can order parts from Mud Buddy or beavertail they are very helpful. Go devil won't sell you anything if you are building one.

5. Ton

Ton Senior Refuge Member

You guys think I could build one around 60-70 lbs with a 6hp motor,Very intrested in your input,Pm whatever you think I need to know,That shortale is nice,and would like to build a smaller model of that.so send as much info as you would like to share.
    Thanks,Ton

6. buck_jackson75

buck_jackson75 Senior Refuge Member

gmag10, what does your rig weigh in at and what size motor is that, I cannot read it. thanks

7. fwsteal

fwsteal Senior Refuge Member

gmag10 - very nice; so are you going to build any more?

8. lookingforducks

lookingforducks Senior Refuge Member

gmag10: What kind of cost do you have in that? Looks sharp!!

9. gmag10

gmag10 Senior Refuge Member

Sorry guys, been hunting for the last few days!

This motor is a 13 hp. I started to throw together the components and design, becuase at the time there were no small, light weight short-tails. Now Mud Buddy has one, but I am still glad I built this one. It is direct drive, no clutch. I went with a Gates Polychain GT2 setup. The reduction is 1.5:1 and I am spinning a 9X6 sub-surface prop. I went with a 30" out drive, becuase of the sub surface prop. I have not weighed it , yet, but I am guessing that it is less than 150 lbs. I'm thinking closer to 130 lbs. It is lighter and much easier to run than my homemade 9 hp longtail. I have it on a 1436 jon currently, but I think it would even run on my 1236. I have not had a chance to run it in the mud, but it runs good in the open water. I may even be able to spin a 9X7 prop. I have to run it with a load and with the tach on it to see if the 9X7 is a reality. It ended up being balanced quite well. It only takes about 10 lbs of pressure on the handle to pop the prop out of the water. I bought the motor cheap through a wholesale place, so I think I only have about $750-800 in the entire thing! That was a little easier to justify to the wife.

Mag 10

10. bayouboy263

bayouboy263 New Member

Gmag10
    :z This is one SWEET looking setup. How do you apply or adjust belt tension??