Home made decoy raft

Discussion in 'Diver Hunters Forum' started by Derek.white03, Jul 3, 2017.

1. Derek.white03

Derek.white03 New Member

Nothing towards them guys at Southern flyway but I couldn't afford a $250 decoy raft and new deeks to go around it. So got in the works of my own decoy raft.

Got some emt conduit woven it into the plastic fence. And zip tied it in place.

Decoys on 8" sections with snap clamps

And they attach to the fencing.

Attached some future repaints to see how it worked. Made putting out and picking up pretty easy. Few more things to change but it's heading in the right direction.

Attached Files:

2. mmayes

mmayes Diver Forum Mod Moderator

Seems like it would work just fine. I would get larger clips though

Mayes

3. seaduckhunt

seaduckhunt Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

you planning to use a dog for retrieves?

4. BAYDOG

BAYDOG Moderator- Diver, NY Forum, Refuge Classifieds Sponsor Moderator Flyway Manager

Phelps,New York (Heart of the Finger Lakes)
    That'd be a nightmare if a dog got stuck or caught up!

5. bufflehead1

bufflehead1 Senior Refuge Member

I have hunted over decoy nets and I can tell you this much.............. If that's the best you've got leave it at home. Using a net/raft isn't practical unless you're hunting over a lot of decoys to start with and what you have there is going to be nothing short of a mess. It won't hold enough decoys to be worth the hassle.

And while I know dogs can walk across the nets we use, I wouldn't let one within a mile of that.

6. seaduckhunt

seaduckhunt Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

IMHO, it's a gimmick . Nightmare asa Bufflehead1 said. I make a living guiding , day in , day out . I need to be efficient and well managed. There is no way in heck, I would do a net duck raft, nor would I expect much from someone that does.... again IMHO

Rubberhead likes this.
  7. mmayes

mmayes Diver Forum Mod Moderator

Let me preface my original post. As several have said using a dog will be a nightmare. I have hunted over nets and they were used in a stationary location with a bunch of decoys where they were left out all season and it might not be practical for someone picking up every day but it would work just may be a little more hassle than you want.

Mayes

8. bufflehead1

bufflehead1 Senior Refuge Member

As far the not expecting much for someone that does, we kill ducks over net rigs every day but we're not hunting over five or six dozen decoys like some of these folks think it is a good idea for. It's not practical in all or many situations. I can put out a net with 100+ decoys in a few minutes by myself and take them up in a couple. You do that two or three times and in less than 20 to 30 minutes you've got 300 or 400 decoys out. It doesn't get much more efficient than that. The "net"(if that's what you want to call it) in those pictures wouldn't last a couple days, if that, hunting like we do and would hold near enough decoys to be worth having.

We hunt on shoals in the middle of the open sound but it is still shallow enough to wade and we are hunting from stationary blinds over hundreds of decoys. It works well for that but at the same time, I have a whole different stand of decoys for hunting in other areas because like I said the nets aren't practical in many situations.