Home made decoy raft

Discussion in 'Diver Hunters Forum' started by Derek.white03, Jul 3, 2017.

1. Duck Warrior

Duck Warrior New Member

What did you use for the mat?

2. no harm-no fowl

no harm-no fowl Senior Refuge Member

2" tied netting, I miss ordered and have tons left over if you want to get some. I put a 1/2" rope around the perimeter and zip tied it fast. Zipped every other hole. I bought the decoys off several forums, got maybe $ 1.50 in each one. Zip tied the decoys to the net, front and back. Takes maybe 3 min to put out, and 5 to pick up. Used it when I was layout hunting. Wasn't worried about the dog if we did use it with her, I would just wait til the duck floated out of the net or past it before I sent her. I don't use any spreading rods on the net. I just toss the corner anchors far apart. You know the net doesn't get hung up on the decoys like you night think, if they do, I just give it a shake and they come apart.

3. Duck Warrior

Duck Warrior New Member

That’s cool. Sound like it would work well. I already ordered the raft from the NC guys, should be here on Wednesday, I plan getting decoys this off season and loading it up

4. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum

How is that easier than throwing a dozen or two single line decoys ?:scratch
    Make a few four bird spreader bars if you don't want to deal with as many single decoy lines. :tu

5. Duck Warrior

Duck Warrior New Member

I am hoping it will keep me from chasing single deeks that get in the ice or current. It will cut the pick up time down. you can set the raft at the house with the layout to want, before getting in the water. It was taking me 20 mins to set the spread and about 30 to pick it up. Hope to save the time so I can hunt that little longer... seems the ducks buzz me everytime I am picking up!!! My raft is in the garage, waiting for the season to start.

callinfowl likes this.