Home made decoy raft

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by Derek.white03, Jul 3, 2017.

1. CA Hunter

CA Hunter Senior Refuge Member

IMO, if the waters you hunt do not have any current, it might be a mess since you do not have side support to keep it strait.
    You need a current to stretch it (you attach the front pope to a line with anchor), or you need to make a frame of some kind.
    just my $0.02

2. Montauker

Montauker Elite Refuge Member

You need another 10-20 decoys on that raft to make it worth the hassle and also to give that group/ball of ducks look. CAH is right you also need a heavy anchor to secure the back end and keep the thing from bunching up. That fence will disappear better than you think, but as TF mentioned spray paint will fix that issue it exists.

The cross-supports: seal them or fill with foam. You do not want them pulling down as an anchor, and if a hollow tube will just dump water into the boat/on you

3. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

^^^ In lieu of the EMT, schedule 80 grey PVC tubing @1/2" with end caps glued/threaded on would make it lighter and float the ends.

Ringbill likes this.
  4. Susky Ducker

Susky Ducker Refuge Member

Why would you want to float the ends. They will stick out then. Serious question

5. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

^^^ Would possibly make it easier to keep lined out in a breeze or current. Plus, won't pull the ends down and tend to bunch the set up in the middle.
    Am really intrigued by such a setup as once the R&D is worked out, could make Texas rigs obsolete in many instances.

6. Susky Ducker

I feel if you used aluminum or pvc and kept a decoy or 2 on both ends. I don't think it would be as heavy as you think. And wouldn't sink But gotta experiment I guess

7. Ringbill

Ringbill Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

I'm missing just what yur building & what yur trying to accomplish?
    I use 2x2 lumber, build whatever size raft I want, then nail scrap pieces of plywood, chip board etc on both sides of the framework, with some high density foam board in between, Camo paint the top & sides, & I use an 8" x 8" block for
    an anchor. I put them out & leave them there. Ducks love loafing on them all summer, too.

Ringbill

8. anjordan77

anjordan77 Refuge Member

I think you are onto the right path. do not float the conduit, green is supposed to look like vegetation from above and why they use green shrimp net in NC. If you plan to use a dog, you want less of a gap between the fence holes. That's why Southern Flyway uses the Landscape Netting. I actually bought some landscape netting and was going to do the same thing as you by zip tying the conduit on. i think you anchor each end to keep it from closing in itself. Drop Anchor 1...back up as you deploy the net and when the line is taut deploy anchor #2 on the other end.

This is what he's trying to mimic:
    http://www.southernflywayoutfitters.com/

9. anjordan77

anjordan77 Refuge Member

10. Susky Ducker