Boats & Blinds Forum Sponsors

Home made decoy raft

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by Derek.white03, Jul 3, 2017.

1. coachcornbread

coachcornbread Elite Refuge Member

Is that tarp gonna let water through so it won't float? I found a mesh net from a garbage truck supply company that I was gonna try.

2. CA Hunter

CA Hunter Senior Refuge Member

This tarp is going to hold enough water to get very heavy, to get you wet, your hunting partners wet, everything inside the boat wet, and to add 100LB to your boat load. Did i forget anything this material is capable of doing?
    You need some material with larger cell size, so it would not trap any water.

3. CA Hunter

4. pbramble

pbramble Elite Refuge Member

I know this is an old thread, but I made something very similar to what you did. Works well, don't let the experts on here discourage you. Dog had no problems with it, most of the time they just swam around it. It creates that rafting effect perfectly, I often noticed that even small groups of redheads would hold tight together, that's why I made mine, it gives a very good density of decoys. I used a heavier duty geogrid than you did, and had 9-12 decoys on mine. Easy to deploy, easy to pick-up, looked good on the water.

Constructeur likes this.
  5. Action

Action Elite Refuge Member

I’m more concerned in a dog getting tangled in one of the drop lines and then esculating to the rest of the set up. I hunt big water and I try to make sure all my bases are covered. If nothing else use tared line 18” or more inches long. That way their paws won’t touch the raft material. The commercial grade ones are more of a mat and not a fence.

6. Constructeur

Constructeur Senior Refuge Member

A somewhat similar material is made in black as well. It's a reinforced geo synthetic fabric meant to go under paving. We have heaps of short rolls at work, and it's what I used for a similar outcome.
    I am doing something slightly different however, mid to late season we will hunt puddlers near the edge of tide water. They get skittish, so a small raft of say, wigeon that can easily be moved has been an asset to us in the past.

7. CountryRN

CountryRN Refuge Member

I made a similar rig out of the safety fence that goes around a trampoline. I think final dimensions are 12 X 15. I ran one section of emt conduit on two sides and put an anchor attachment in the middle of each section so to use two large anchors. Makes it easy to dump 3 dozen decoys in about 3 minutes. Pick up only takes a little longer.
    20170904_170210.jpg

snipe n likes this.
  8. Derek.white03

Derek.white03 New Member

Oh it didn’t i just wanted to share it Incase other people wanted to see ideas. I don’t have a dog so i don’t have to worry about that but i get to a lot of blue bills and every once and awhile they’ll be something other then that put there. But i only take that and put three deeks on its front anchor line and buffies on a mojo spreader and haven’t left without my bluebill limit yet.

9. bufflehead1

bufflehead1 Senior Refuge Member

That's a whole thread of people discussing something they have never used, seen or have any kind of experience with. Heck, the net in the pics doesn't even have a rope border so there is absolutely no way you could use it without it bunching up. All these horror stories of dogs drowning that they mention, where did it happen and to who's dog? Here's a hint, it didn't and to this day I've never heard of it happening from anyone that has actually hunted over net.

Now these guys using the plastic fencing and stuff with holes big enough a dogs foot will go through it are just asking for trouble if they hunt with a dog. Also the decoys bills, keels and heads will dip through and cause a tangled up mess. The holes need to be small, like where you can only stick one finger through or smaller to prevent tangles and problems for dogs.

IMO, if you're not putting out a couple hundred decoys, you're better off with longlines and singles.

10. CA Hunter

After reading this thread i made one out of the mesh sunblock and 14 deks
    use 5 LB anchor with 30Ft line.
    Very easy to deploy and pick up. after 2 hunts i become experienced enough that it takes me 15-20 sec to deploy and 30 sec to put it back to the boat.
    The only minus it does not work when there is no current, but i hunt tidal waters, so the max i have to wait 10-15 minutes when the tide changes direction.