Home Made "flip over" blind.

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by wingin'it, Nov 6, 2017.

1. wingin'it

wingin'it New Member

This is my first attempt at a blind on a boat, very happy with it!
    The boat is an alumacraft 1648 mod-v that I built my own console for and outfitted it with a 50 johnson, and with some tweaks and adjustments I'm flirting with 40mph, fun little boat!

The blind works great, and now that things are turning brown I have put an additional covering on using die-cut sawgrass blind material, blends in just fine!

warrenwaterfowler and Fowler267 like this.
  2. Fowler267

Fowler267 Elite Refuge Member

Ill be the first to say that I hated my own Beavertail blind but that is a very impressive build!!!

I like the cargo post idea!

My only complaint would be the blind hanging outside the gunnels when stowed.

3. wingin'it

wingin'it New Member

There isn't too much I would change about it, aside from making the span longer to the front so fitting the cover around the bow would be simpler while making it. The reason I didn't was being worried the front bar would be too low for the dog, but now I realize he could easily go under it (he's an athletic little 65 pounder).

I didn't want the blind over the gunnel either so I tried to keep it to a minimum, and it hasn't been an issue, the boat when up on plane and cruising is only riding on the last 3 or 4' of hull so the water never touches it, even with my regular hunting partner, my dog, and our gear loaded in there.
    HOWEVER, I took it out with another hunting buddy who is a big fella (300 lb range) and he brings a bit more gear. We recently had water levels rise about 4' out here and there is a lot of trash in the water, so I was barely on plane on our ride to our spot one morning in the dark, I realized I needed more and more throttle to get the boat on plane, I looked back to the well and there was so much water the fuel tank was floating, we had maybe 4" of the stern above the water, looked down to the floor and the gun cases were floating, so I cut it and we turned right in to shore and had to bail the boat out before continuing the hunt.
    On the ride in, when we could see, the extra weight in the boat combined with some 3' waves threw the water up straight enough that it would hit the blind and half of the water was being ricocheted back in to the boat... So I guess we will only take his boat from now on.

Fowler267 likes this.
  4. CountryRN

CountryRN Refuge Member

Link says I am not authorized to watch.