Home made grab bars?

Discussion in 'Mud Motors' started by duckguy, Jun 21, 2008.

1. duckguy

duckguy Senior Refuge Member

Any of you guys make your own grab bars? I need something on my boat and am thinking I can come up with something my self. Let see what you came up with.

2. d_white

d_white Senior Refuge Member

I would think that making the bar would be the easy part, but it's all in how you mount it.
    What you got available on your boat to mount it to? Bench seat? Floor? Other?

3. deadbird8

deadbird8 Elite Refuge Member

I got one from Gator Trax, they would make anything (mounting wise- side, floor, box) you wanted. This one cost like ~$80. That was worth the time spent fabricating it for me.

I consider it a safety feature with a MM. This one works good, lasts a long time. Just something to consider.

[​IMG]

4. chuckin mud

chuckin mud New Member

I make my own when there is no way to fasted to side wall.
    Usually the horseshoe designe angled back to the operator a little and
    angled supports down and away from the main bar. Then fastened to floor
    or gun box etc. for stablility.

5. Raul G

Raul G Elite Refuge Member

I've never used a grab bar since 1986 but I probably should. I have a channel on the gunwale of the Grizzly that I know is on the WarEagles and other designs, that can be used to secure a handle at least on two points. Did anybody try that? I was thinking of something that can fold out of the way, like when you are hunting, and held in place with a pin lock or something. The "standard' design is an inverted "U" bar- is this easy to stash away in your gun box? I have an open floor plan and my rear pod is too far back to use as a mount for this type of slide in U. That's why I'm looking at the side-mounted one.

6. drho

drho Senior Refuge Member

I mounted a flush mount pipe on the floor then inserted a wheel barrow handle in it. Gives you something to hold on too.

7. smokem

smokem Elite Refuge Member

Anyone else ??

8. Mallard

Mallard Senior Refuge Member

I designed my own and had some friends at Custom Machine do me a favor and weld it on my boat for me. Made out of aluminum . Cut out a square of diamond plate as the base and welded that to the boat then used same design as a go devil grab bar and welded that to the diamond plate. the diamond plate also help stable my boat which is an older model. ill try to get some pics up here to show you.

9. grrifles

grrifles Senior Refuge Member

Got one from gator trax. The one that is bent back some. They sent two piecesof tubing that the grab bar fit into and I welded them in and the bar just slips in and out.

10. PropGrinder

PropGrinder Senior Refuge Member

I wanted more than just the little grab bar sold by Go-Devil and others so this is what I built. It's made of 1.25" thick wall aluminum pipe and Hollaender fittings. I like it because I can grab it anywhere especially in sharp turns, rest my arm on it while I drive (because I like to drive standing up), put a tarp over it, and it makes a really nice roll-bar! No, don't ask. It's also a pretty good brush shield, the kids used it for a jungle gym, and I mounted my light, GPS, video camera, and other stuff on it. And it has kept me from flying forward during those sudden stops. If I was gonna do it again, I'd do the same thing again. Guess that's my measure of how well some idea I had has worked out. Fewer ideas in that bucket than in the "won't do that again" bucket. :nutz

Cost me about $100 and doesn't weigh very much. The pipe mounts to the sides of the boat just under the gunwale.

[​IMG]