Home Made Pods

Discussion in 'Mud Motors' started by LabsInTheCanes, Sep 18, 2008.

1. LabsInTheCanes

LabsInTheCanes Senior Refuge Member

I estimate for a sheet metal contractor. I have a Lowe Roughneck 1760 MT and 35 MB Hyper combo. I am interested in putting Pods on my rig for a number of reasons (weight being the main reason). I have access to all the free 1/8" 3003 aluminum I would need. I have poured over Beavertails website and have come up with a set of drawings to build off of. I have made a template and will fit it to my boat this evening and ensure that it will not interfere with my motor. Has anyone out there done this? Anything to watch out for or try to avoid. Also, is it absolutely necessary to put drain plugs in the pods? (mind you they will be welded shut, so water infiltration shouldn't be an issue). Beavertail's website says they use 5052 aluminum....any reason not to use 3003? Thanks for your suggestions!!!!

2. Mojo

Mojo Senior Refuge Member

I'm doing a ton of research right now myself, and what I've found, is that the drain plugs are probably a good idea. If something should happen, at least you could drain them without adding negative buoyancy to an already questionable situation. They are also necessary to relieve pressure from the heat build-up during welding, once airtight, they would bulge out before they cool, but you could probably prevent this by leaving a small vent hole during the majority of the welding, and then quickly sealing it with a small quick bead that wouldn't build up much heat later on after the first set of welds cools off.
    Be sure to check your clearances with the motor before mounting, and then leave a little bit more.
    Beavertail uses .100" 5052 aluminum, so I think you'll be plenty safe using .125" 3003, that's strong stuff. You will have to be careful when welding it to your transom, since the transom is probably a bit thinner than that, and you could easily over-heat it and burn through.
    There are some good close-up photos of the Beavertail pods at a website HERE the guy actually bolted them on instead of welding, with some guidance from Beavertail.
    This place makes a bit more simple design, and they have some pictures under "aluminum flotation pods" Boyds Welding
    And if you are in western WI, and have access to enough of that 1/8" aluminum that you could spare enough for another set of pods, I'd be only too happy to pick some up:D
    Good luck, and let us know how they turn out,
    Mojo

3. Loewman

Loewman Refuge Member

5052 Alloy is Marine grade made so it does not corrode. I would make sure that 3003 Alloy could handle the abuse of the water. But metal is metal

4. fishmagnet04

fishmagnet04 Senior Refuge Member

You don't need drain plugs if your welds are good. Just make sure that the end of the pods are higher then the bottom of your boat... unless you want giant trim tabs.

5. fishmagnet04

fishmagnet04 Senior Refuge Member

6. got duck

got duck Elite Refuge Member

As stated in a couople of post, the 3003 is a much softer metal then the 5052 and yes the 5052 has all of the corrision resistant properties that you need in the water. The 3003 does not have the same properties. If you start the pods even with the bottom of your boat at the very back of the pod you will need to be about 1 1/4" higher than the plane of the bottom of your boat.

7. moxofmallards

moxofmallards Senior Refuge Member

The pods on beavertail boats are not hollow they fill them with foam so even if your welds are not water tight the water has no place to go this how they get even more bouency out of them. I made some from 5056 aluminum for my boat and they help out a ton. Best of luck

Brandon

8. LabsInTheCanes

LabsInTheCanes Senior Refuge Member

Well, I just finished painting my pods Lowe Deadgrass to match the boat. I must say I am pleased with how they turned out. I put about 1" of rise in the pods (fore to aft). My welds turned out great and I saw no need for plugs (can always install later if needed). All in all a fun project and hopefully I improve my performance! Take a look

Attached Files:

9. jrp267

jrp267 Senior Refuge Member

If you dont put in plugs the air pressure will crack them from expansion and contraction. If they are not filled with foam. Learned the hard way.

10. D Duck

D Duck Moderator

If your welds are good, this is a non-issue.