Home Made Pods

Discussion in 'Mud Motors' started by LabsInTheCanes, Sep 18, 2008.

1. jrp267

jrp267 Senior Refuge Member

Well Maybe but the guy who welded mine does it for a living. When you welded them at 80 degrees and are now pounding 3 inches of ice and the temp is 25 degrees there is alot of negative pressure in there. Dont say I did'nt warn you. Just speaking from expierence.

2. fishmagnet04

fishmagnet04 Senior Refuge Member

With the kind of heat that a TIG puts into aluminum, I doubt the air inside the pod was anywhere under 250 degree while being welded. If they didn't crack from that cool down, I don't think 20's will hurt anything. The pods on the War Eagle above don't have foam or a plug and there isn't any sign of cracking.

3. hammbone

hammbone Senior Refuge Member

Are you guys geting better performance with pods? I have a 18' olimpic jon by lowe with a 45 hd mb.

4. BerettaCrews

BerettaCrews Elite Refuge Member

why in the world would anyone need pods on the back of a 60" wide boat??????????? if you're having trouble driving in shallow water, I'd suggest buying a different motor. pods are a lost cause.:l

5. jrp267

they come standard on beavertail boats. But if you ever had them you would know.

6. MudGrappler

MudGrappler Senior Refuge Member

What do the pods add to the performance? I would think that a 60" boat wouldnt need pods. Just curious Ive never had pods.

7. LabsInTheCanes

LabsInTheCanes Senior Refuge Member

I don't really know if they add anything to my top end as I never clocked my boat before the pods were added. They do, however, seam to get the boat up on plain quicker and give a smoother ride. They also serve as a great platform for the dog to get back in the boat as well as a platform to stand on when "nature calls." Another added benefit is they break up the wave that can come over the transom when you stop quickly.

8. BerettaCrews

BerettaCrews Elite Refuge Member

I guess you're right... we all need to take a lesson from the folks at beavertail that know how to build a REAL mud boat.

9. jrp267

I nevr said that beavertail makes the best boat. All I said was if you ever had pods you would know.

10. extra mud

extra mud Elite Refuge Member

I have to agree with Berretta on this.

Pods are a fix for an inferior mud hull.

Period.