Home Made Pods

Discussion in 'Mud Motors' started by LabsInTheCanes, Sep 18, 2008.

1. ScavengerMan

ScavengerMan Senior Refuge Member

Extra Mud, nobody is arguing about your point on the need to select the ideal hull for it's intended use. If someone is buying a new boat the factors you mention and more should all be considered.

However, all the other reasons to add pods listed here are valid and even more so for those looking to upgrade a boat they already own. From your extremely narrow viewpoint it might come as a surprise that there are even more reasons to add pods besides those already brought up. One of my boats is a commercial model with an airtight front deck. In order to expand on the places this boat is safe to run, I'm considering having custom made pods built that will be the full height of the transom in order to create massive level flotation capacity without taking up one square inch of people and equipment space.

While everyone would agree selecting the right hull on a new boat is critically important, there are lots of good reasons people might consider adding pods to their current rig.

2. LabsInTheCanes

LabsInTheCanes Senior Refuge Member

$350????
    I don't have anywhere near $350 in my pods....more like $100. For that price I get a dog/person ladder, extra flotation and improved performance. Pretty good investment if you ask me!!!

3. BerettaCrews

BerettaCrews Elite Refuge Member

no... I've never owned pods. I've never needed them. Usually, when my boat gets stuck, the water barely covers my ankles. so why do I need to run any more shallow than that?:l Pods would get in the way of the operation of my motor, wouldn't help me run any shallower than I already do, and would seriously inhibit me pushing my boat around or backwards if I ever do get stuck. they would hang up on stuff when I was using FPR, and I guarantee you I'd knock them off the back of the boat in a week in the places I run. :yes

if you want a step and a place to **** off of, then by all means, get you some pods. if you think pods are going to solve all your problems because you really weren't running the correct hull to begin with, then i think they are a waste of money.

4. LabsInTheCanes

LabsInTheCanes Senior Refuge Member

Thanks for your permission, Beretta!!!!!

5. extra mud

extra mud Elite Refuge Member

LabsInTheCanes, I do agree that there pods serve a purpose as I stated and Highlighted above in my own post.

Also, when I used the term Inferier mud hull, I ment is as its performance not construction.

I underst you dont have $350 into your pods, but the average guy who wants them will.

Didnt think I was being "narrow minded" just stating facts.

6. Larry D

Larry D Elite Refuge Member

I do not think they should be needed on a properly set up rig. When buying new they should not be part of the dealer recommendations unless he is compensating for inherit problems.

I have tried using them on a 14 x 48 rivoted jon bot with a 23 hyper. The boat has inherit design that affects performance. We put them on and off and back on and they helped it float levelor and shallower but when it was all done the performance getting on plane and speed gains were poor at best. Mud motors regardless of the brand do not like short fat boats.

If buying commercially made pods and then paying to have them put on the boat it would not be hard to spend $400 when all done. Beavertail sells them on the web and Gator Trax list them as an option so you can check the pricing yourself. You can evan call Gator Trax and ask them if you need them and I bet they would say something similiar to what I have said above. I could see them helping with avoiding backwash on a low transom boat but once again that is only to compensate for a design/set up problem where a dealer sold you a bill of goods.

You can spend then same money on a larger HP mud motor and get more bang for the buck.

Now using them on a boat with an outboard to compensate for weight carrying ability or floatation is different then on a mud motor. I have not experimented with that but I would ask -If this is such a good idea why do you not see hundreds of set ups with pods then? Ask Danny US1951 or what ever his name is exactly how many boats he has ever set up with them-there is a very credible resource.

Larry

7. 12ga

12ga Banned

Ban em, ban them all. No more MM boats.:eek:

8. RIPN2GO

RIPN2GO Senior Refuge Member

Pods do make up the difference for a inferior hull with a heavy motor. I have one with pods and I can see both sides, when it comes to performance I know the pods slow me down some and cause some serious sliding issues in all depths of water. But when Im ready to cut them off I go hunt somewhere where its belly deep and have to crawl in the boat there worth every penny. And as far as outboard boats go, look at most of your high performance bass boats, most of them have them there just glassed in with the rest of the boat.

9. extra mud

extra mud Elite Refuge Member

Huh?