Boats & Blinds Forum Sponsors

Homemade Blind

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by TAP8752, Jan 10, 2019.

1. TAP8752

TAP8752 New Member

I am looking into make a homemade a frame type blind. I need it to be easily portable as we hunt several different places throughout the year. I am looking for ideas can you guys post what you have done before. I have a couple layouts but looking for something else as well. Thanks in advance.

2. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

Schedule C PVC. Chicken wire. Build the frame, cover in chicken wire. Loosely fill in with raffia grass. Finish filling it at your spot with natural cover.

JP likes this.
  3. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

I would have thought the CPVC would be brittle, especially in the cold temps. Does it work OK?

What led me to think that, is that a CPVC pipe in my house ****-tered like glass when I bumped up against it one day fixing another CPVC pipe that ****-tered when my daughter turned the faucet for the tub off (idiots who installed them didn't use straps on them :mad:).

4. Fowler267

Fowler267 Elite Refuge Member

I would suggest conduit at about the same price and much more durable. It may weigh a bit more?

5. TAP8752

TAP8752 New Member

Yea I was leaning to conduit just because of the PVC brittle factor.

6. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

Conduit is great. Lil heavier. Not huge.

I hunted with Darryl Wise (inventor, Real Geese) a couple years after I moved here. He donated a DU goose hunt on sod fields. As I recall, it was 10 degrees that day. The frames we put up on the edge of the field seemed like they had been in use for quite some time, and we get some brutal temps.

OP is somewhere in TX. I know they got a thing called 'Texas Cold', but not sure it stays as cold, for as long, as MT.

Mostly I was just throwing out the concept. A blind doesn't have to be fancy. Ours was a fairly long center, bout 6-7 feet, with 2 wings of about 2 feet, all about 4' tall. Raffia stuck up over the top of the rails, so you could look through.

Personally, since I usually hunt alone, I just have 4' chicken wire with raffia and the field grass that grows on the property. Matches pretty well everywhere I hunt, but I put natural stuff over it anyway. No frames. Just bring a couple of poles I can pound into the ground for support.
    That is it, just above and right of the RH goose deke
    upload_2019-1-10_14-19-53.png

Closer...

7. darkvibe

darkvibe Senior Refuge Member

If you made a smaller version of this it might be portable.

It's welded conduit. 4 pieces. We zip tie it together in our spot. Plastic wind blocker and fence for vegitation.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

sgt duck and Fowler267 like this.
  8. Native NV Ducker

Nice

9. darkvibe

darkvibe Senior Refuge Member

yea, it hides good

[​IMG]

10. CamoHunter870

CamoHunter870 Elite Refuge Member

Depending on how quick you want the A frame type blind, watch for sales and you might be able to pick up one from one of the hunting companies that makes them at a good price when you consider your time and effort into the project.

I like to build things too but was able to pick up Tanglefree panel blind when it was 40% off.