Homemade layout boats

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by gimp, Mar 13, 2018.

1. gimp

gimp Senior Refuge Member

Any have any pictures/info of layouts you have built? Looking to build a one man this summer.

2. longduck

longduck Senior Refuge Member

I made the NL Hybrid. There is a sticky at the top of this forum. Check it out! ;)

3. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

Google Busick. You can buy plans and I think, paper patterns still.
    Simple wood and fiberglass seam construction. Inexpensive.

4. caniborrowsomeammo

caniborrowsomeammo New Member

7' 10"- 50 lbs without anything on it. Seat board is your backrest when hunkered down.

Quack attack 3.jpeg

5. bullpinnie

bullpinnie Elite Refuge Member

I've build several boats based on mostly Kara design. I've built wood and glass boats, and Foam, wood and Glass boats. They were fun projects, but they were expensive, and time consuming to build. Not to mention heavier than I wanted to fool with. I suggest that you save your money, & time, and find a used 4 rivers, or MoMarsh boat. I've got a Marsh Rat that I'd sell for $650.

6. Rich Chamberlin

Rich Chamberlin Refuge Member Sponsor

Is it possible, as a starting point for making your layout boat, that you could use the lower hull half of a large jet ski? Has anyone done it, thought about it, or rejected the idea as coming from a warped mind? I've seen photos of jet ski "wrecking yards" showing tons of ski hulls. If feasible this would sure beat starting from scratch. If it doesn't work it would make a great summer wading pool for your retriever. (you must always think positive) Rich

7. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

I've built a few hybrids and didn't find them very difficult. Glassing it was the hardest part, and it wasn't really hard it was just a new experience for me as it was the first time I'd messed with fiberglass. The wood part was a cakewalk, but while no real carpenter/woodworker I'm quite comfortable working with wood. The end result was great and we shot a lot of ducks out of them.

They were light, hid very easily, and were quite comfortable to hunt from. My biggest complaint was they paddled about as well as a pontoon boat; we added keel runners, a rudder, etc and there was just no getting around that part. Next time I built one I'm going to make it a bit of a V-bottom and I think that would solve that problem, or at least help quite a bit. They were way cheaper than anything I could find for sale, and it was awful cool shooting ducks out of something we had built; we built two for under $500 easy. Especially if you like building stuff I'd highly recommend trying one.

8. bullpinnie

bullpinnie Elite Refuge Member

Building a KARA style boat will cost about $500. A foamer, slightly less. Once you build it, and decide it is too heavy, or not exactly what you want, you'll be able to sell it for about $300-$400.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
  9. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

10. Olfducker

Olfducker Senior Refuge Member

I built this 12’x4’ 75 pound dual purpose (layout and fishing with the grandkids) boat out of foam and plastic laminate film. Very stable and solid as a rock. Very pleased with the result.