Honest opinions on SX4 or an A5

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Billygoat81, Jan 8, 2018.

1. Sunklands

Sunklands Senior Refuge Member

IMO Ford should have never stopped making the '79 model truck, but newer is better, right?

2. HuntTilDusk

HuntTilDusk Refuge Member

Exactly, in my opinion by trying to make the gun lighter it just made for more recoil and muzzle rise. but for some reason the public opinion is lighter is better

3. buck_master_2001

buck_master_2001 Elite Refuge Member

I’ve often wondered why Browning doesn’t bring back the true Auto 5. Or even a lighter version of the original design auto 5. With today’s technology you can do a lot more for a lot less. I love the huge hump on the receiver. It just feels right.

Seaark18 and 10GAGENUT like this.
  4. Sunklands

We could do a lot more for a lot less, if they weren't so hell bent on breaking it off on us.

10GAGENUT and buck_master_2001 like this.
  5. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Own the A5 with 26” BBL. Use 3” shells. Never had a need for 3.5s for waterfowl. Can’t feel it kick. I’d imagine any barrel burner hunt with 3.5s would hurt. It’s not terrible with 3.5 Magnum Blends for turkey. Patterning it is memorable. :l

I don’t know anything about the SX4, but the SX3s were nice.

6. stevena198301

I love how my SX2 shoots. Hate how it jams.

7. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor Flyway Manager

You never know many times it's a companies philosophy to be that way, the Forward Thinking don't look back mentality or the We never make mistakes attitude for a few. Remington I believe has seen the error of it's way if you notice the amount of new 1100 offerings including sub gauges, wouldn't surprise me if they bring back the 1100 Magnum in the next few years. Kind of why I always wonder why would they discontinue any product that they sold over 4 million of???

buck_master_2001 likes this.
  8. Sunklands

Is your gun a 3.5" gun or just 2.75" & 3"? The guns that aren't 3.5" don't seem to give the troubles.

9. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor Flyway Manager

No matter how good modern metallurgy and machining is most manufacturers can't make a 12 gauge shotgun that weighs 7 lbs, and constantly can shoot 14,000 psi loads as heavy as a 10 gauge does, why so many of them break.

10. stevena198301

3.5". I use 3.5s for turkey, but 3" for all my duck hunting. I've never had any cycle problems with 3.5s, but again, that use is limited to maybe 20 shots a year, max, patterning and on birds (and that'd be a heck of a year). Usually just a handful of shots a year. Sadly, only one at a bird, last year. :cry

I've yet to need 3.5s for duck. I try really hard not to stretch out shots, and don't really shoot past 40 unless I whiff the first two shots.