North/South Carolina Flyway Forum Sponsors

Honeymoon Hunting Disaster with Capt Froggy

Discussion in 'North / South Carolina Flyway Forum' started by pintail_drake2004, Dec 22, 2017.

1. soiltester

soiltester Elite Refuge Member

It sounds like you didn't tap the reliable resources of this NC & SC Forum here, before your booking:scratch

I had a somewhat similar experience over 30+ years ago when we drove from Michigan and had a guide that I've since been told, has improved and really turned his business around. That was the 1st year for swan tags and were over the counter 1st come basis and our guide had 4 waiting for our group. I guess if you liked to shoot buffies' all day .. that was a dream come true hunt :dv
    The weather did turn 1 day and we did get mallards and our 4 swans also but said never again, as we had all the limit hunts in Michigan one could dream of!!
    Sea ducks eventually came from "other" trips!!;)

2. Big Orange Duck

Big Orange Duck Senior Refuge Member

I was on the Groggy adventure with coachcornbread. That was several years ago, mostly what I remember is sitting in the boat with about an inch of the boat above the water. I'm surprised we escaped with our lives. We sat on a mud bar and didn't fire a shot. How is this guy still in business? There definitely good and reputable guides in the area.

3. EastBound&Down

EastBound&Down Senior Refuge Member

Hate to hear about your bad experience. Sounds like he put in zero effort towards accommodating you for your desired hunt. Sea ducks have been here since beginning of November (not to say they are thick because of this lousy weather) but a few should of been easily found with min effort. Also the swan was just as easy as hitting a field that they were using and usually dosent take much more than 1 hr.

bufflehead1 likes this.
  4. SeaArk20

SeaArk20 Refuge Member

We booked Capt. Froggy a few years ago. Ended up being two trips in one, first and last.

5. bufflehead1

bufflehead1 Senior Refuge Member

His fishing trips are worse than his hunts. He showed up here in Wanchese about two years ago and takes inshore charters, if you want to call it that. He goes to the exact same spot every trip, anchors up and let's them catch pinfish.

6. NCBADGES

NCBADGES North / South Carolina Flyway Moderator Moderator

The first time he yelled at my wife would have been the end of the hunt and the beginning of his ... well, the end of the hunt. Sorry you guys had such a bad experience here. Seaducks are not hard to find in eastern NC.

7. obx-dux

obx-dux Elite Refuge Member

Am sorry for your bad experience. All of NC guides are not rude....

Albino Woodie and bufflehead1 like this.
  8. Steelshot Scott

Steelshot Scott Senior Refuge Member

Wow, I have heard of the legend of Capt Froggy, but you wonder if all the stories can be true. But it appears the legend continues to grow. To me, he was like Bigfoot, you hear of the legend, but you have never seen one. The closest I came to ever meeting Capt. Froggy was the time he waked my canoe. I have a 17 foot Grumman squareback with a 5 1/2 horse motor and I was going to hunt a small marsh on the edge of the big water of the Pamlico Sound. While still in the protected ditch headed towards the swamp, he roared past me and nearly sank me. This ditch was only about 30 feet across, I know he saw me. I have never heard anyone speak well of him.

9. Albino Woodie

Albino Woodie Senior Refuge Member

Man that sucks so bad, especially being your honeymoon. Either way that should not happen to anyone. Like JFG said shoot him a PM or my self. We can put you with a guide that is top notch, professional, respectful, honest when it comes to hunting conditions and bird numbers and will guarantee you a swan. One guide in particular i know i have yet to see him not be 100% on swan hunts and to be honest that is his specialty is swan hunts. JFG can probably help you better with a sea duck guide.

10. Silverback

Silverback Elite Refuge Member

Unacceptable...as JFG stated, there are some fantastic guides in eastern NC. Froggy is not one of them.